We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wireless relays, can someone clarify please

bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi all, I would like to extend the range on my wireless connections. Some time back I bought 2 of the plug in devices from Amazon, they did not state in their advertising that they had to be on the same circuit so were useless to me and I had to return them. The basic question here is are there devices that can be used on any circuits i.e. one down the workshop on its own circuit breaker and the other upstairs on a completely different one and they will still work together. Looking at the available devices I can't find one that actually makes this point clear, it's a huge difference between limited use and works anywhere.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks for the ongoing suggestions. All circuits are via the same consumer unit.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

A domestic consumer unit is a single phase device (live neutral) so any home plugs connected from circuits in the same consumer unit will work OK.

Do not plug the Homeplugs into an extension lead as they do not work properly.

If necessary make sure you have a double socket for your outbuilding - one for the homeplug the other to power your PC/laptop.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

You can also get home plugs that have a pass through socket so you do not lose a power point.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Plenty of sockets so no probs with that. Curious as to why it wont work on an extension lead, not that I plan to use one, just interest as to why not. The following is from their website FAQ's (Can I use HomePlugs between a house and an out-building/office ?

In most cases the answer is no - this is because the homeplug signal deteriorates through consumer/fuse boxes and in the case above multiple boxes are in use. We have had some customers where it has worked - it maybe worth calling us to discuss your particular needs.)

Having got this wrong in the past, I want to be sure that whatever I need to use it is going to work properly.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

How is your outbuilding wired?

Does it have its own consumer unit / fuse box?

If not then homeplugs will work fine

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

As Fruit Bat says there should be no reason why homeplugs do not work. Incidentally I have seen plenty of people using homeplugs who have also used extensions although the general advice is not to.

As a matter of interest did you try the original homeplugs that your returned?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I am taking a wild shot here, but when you say that the previous adapters would not work, have you checked the wiring at the sockets ie positive/neutral/earth to see if they are wired correctly ?.

A few years back, I found that a two wired cable device would work on a faulty wired socket (bedside light), trying a 3 pin (heavy duty power drill) wouldn't. This was found out by accident?.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat, it is wired with a single 2.5mm cable to the house where it is plugged into a RCD protected socket with a standard 13A plug, max load about 2kw even with the heater on. To try to put things into proportion it is just a 4m x 4m log cabin fun thing for the kids and for me if I want some peace and quiet. Not an industrial unit. difarn, yes I did try the ones I bought a few months back but they would not work as they were on different circuits, this was not stated when I ordered them but it does say so in the "instructions" inside the box. Spuds, thanks but the polarity is correct, I understand you suggesting this as I have encountered it before.

thanks again Ray

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Never tried it on an RCD socket, assuming your main box has an RCD?

With 2 RCD circuits you effectively have two series inductors.

That might do something nasty to data speeds, particularly in conjunction with cable capacitance.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Nothing is ever easy when safety devices enter the equation. I can live without wifi but not with electrocution (:-). Ok so from meter 16mm tails to ELCB, 16mm tails to consumer unit, RCD's I think, then feed to boiler room where I have the double RCD socket for the shed/cabin and other outdoor stuff for gardening etc.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do