We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Youtube keeps sticking.

hiwatt

Likes # 0

Hi folks. While on Youtube the audio/video keeps sticking on my girlfriends computer.(Windows vista)The latest version of flash player/firefox is installed and it was doing it with the last few previous versions too?It gets really bad when using the mouse to scroll down etc.I've tried everything I can think of(including disabling flash's protected mode)It happens at all times of the day and she has a fast broadband connection speed so it's not that? Has anyone else experienced this and been able to find a cure?Thanks.

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

rdave13 When viewing youtube flash player is fluctuating between 10-30% cpu usage.Nothing else is using up much at all!Youtube is very jittery but when scrolling the mouse it gets really bad!Thanks.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Check in device manager, display adapters, see if there is an update for it.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Should have added, try running YouTube in Internet Explorer to see if its not a browser problem.

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

I've just tried youtube in IE with latest version of flash player and it's just the same.Impossible to watch anything on youtube,just keeps jittering/sticking. Theres no exlamation marks in device manager.I have 2 optional updates for Nvidia graphics adapter WDDM1.1 AND Nvidia Nforce networking controller.Could it be anything to do with this?Thanks folks.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Long shot - What anti-virus are you using? Is it scanning the video as it arrives?

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

Avast.No.I've even let the video load completely and then play it but still the same and it if you go to scroll the mouse it gets a lot worse?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Have a look in internet options, advanced tab , that the box is unticked for "Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering". I'd also update Nvidia graphics adapter.

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

rdave I updated the graphics adapter.No change.There isn't an option for "software rendering" in firefox? I think this is a flash player problem? I was going to install an older version(10.3)to try but can't find it.Filehippo used to have archived all the old versions but they don't seem to have now.Do you know a safe place e to download older versions of flash player?Thanks.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

In firefox, options, advanced, under browsing, try unticking the box for " Use hardware acceleration when available". Close and open Firefox. Check smooth scrolling ticked. If still the same, set back to how it was.

archived-flash-player

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

As suspected this was a flash player problem.Reverting back to version 11.1 has solved all problems and youtube now plays perfect!The thing is this issue has been present in every version since and there's a lot of people having similar issues? Now my only concern is running an older version of flash.Will it leave this computer more vulnerable to "threats"?Thanks for your help folks!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon, Argos, eBay,...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers