We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

7" tablet with wi-fi dongle .

shaun.t
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hello Everybody , I am looking to purchase a 7" tablet as a present and can't seem to find one that can be used with a wi-fi dongle . Can anybody help me with problem ?

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 1

Why would you want a dongle? Most tablets have built in wireless.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 1

The alternative is to get one of these MiFi devices, which connect to the 3G network and operate as a Wireless Router. You can then connect wirelessly to it from a Tablet, Netbook, Laptop etc to get online.

This is what I use with a WiFi-only iPad.

Like this post
siouxah1

Likes # 1

There is an 8inch tablet that will take a 3G dongle. The Archos 80 G9. You will have to purchase the special dongle for it,cost about £40. 3G sims are available on Amazon. They are reasonably priced.

Canyou tether to your smartphone?

Like this post
siouxah1

Likes # 1

Shaun. The phone will act in a similar way to the mifi as per mgmcc. It is set up quite easily and will emit an identity of your choosing. This is seen by your tablet enabling you to connect via wifi.

I use this method with a Nexus 7. So any wifi equipment should be useable. Be aware that not all phone providers will allow/like this. Check with your provider. One would also need to be aware of bandwidth usage.

Like this post  
shaun.t

Likes # 0

Hi siouxah1 , Thanks again for your information , it was most helpful .

Like this post
shaun.t

Likes # 0

Is there anybody else who knows any other (cheaper) tablets that i can tether my smartphone to for an internet connection ?

Like this post
HenryF75

Likes # 0

I have a Coby 7042 tablet which connects to the inernet through a TP -LINK 3G router and dongle which I already had.Both tablet and couter can be purchased for about 100 pounds if you shop around.

Like this post
shaun.t

Likes # 0

Hi siouxah1 , i can tether to my smart phone . would that give me a choice of tablets ?

Like this post
shaun.t

Likes # 0

Thanks for your promp reply wiz-king .

I travel alot for work and most digs i stay in don't have broadband and the last thing i want to do at the end of the day is go out and find a hotspot .

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Buy a tablet with 3g built in like the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 or IPad Mini to name but two.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?