We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sony TC 55 cassette recorder

Diemmess
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hoping that someone will recognise this nice almost pocketable recorder. Measures roughly, it is 13 X 9 x 4 cms. It is now showing its age presumably with belt/s now old and slackening.

Does anyone know of service manual downloads apart from the US of A? Or even taken one of this model apart?

It is nudging 40 years old yet is very miniaturised and well built. I've had one scary attempt at dismantling and realised in time that A- I wasn't getting anywhere, and B- I had a dozen tiny screws of differing lengths! If I try this again I will photograph every stage and label the print/s. Scouring the Net I' fairly sure I can buy suitable belt/s but need to get at the innards to measure.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I've only come across ebay selling the manual for this. Don't know if they are service manuals or operating manuals. I also found this, click here. Not much help but you can at least see the innards.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Wow! Thanks rdave13 That is probably as good as it gets, and for free.

The pictures when zoomed in are good enough to show individual dust particles. One thing I have seen shows the major part of the box removed but still with the end cover in place. [Don't waste time and effort removing that at an early stage]

A bit difficult to have to re-orientate myself with each succeeding frame whether the lump has been turned -end for end or merely turned over.

Thanks again. Here's hoping someone will have access to a How-To and have a correct set of bands to sell!

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Just as amatter of interest why do you want to repair something so old when you can buy a new better one for very little.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Why......................?

Because I had my childhood in a period when "Make do and mend" was a national slogan and if it couldn't be mended you did without!

Because it was working only a month ago and repair is [to me] a challenge when all it needs is 2+ bands to make it work well once more.

Because it is beautifully made and though seldom used was a reliable stand-by for portable recording. For it's size and portability it is a no-nonsense mono recorder with very little wow or flutter.

Having seen one during a holiday friendship it was exactly what I wanted expensive at the time and I don't think Sony marketed it for long, probably low sales.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Diemmess , again I don't know if this will help, but I've found The Dead Technology Society on flickr. Click here.

Scroll the page down a bit. I'm not a member of flickr so I have no idea if it's worth joining to see if you can get better help there. Good luck anyway.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

rdave13

You are a great one for finding otherwise obscure links. I have joined flickr but though I left a new thread, I seem to be the only one with a question among a host of folk posting ever better photos of similar things.

Conflicts on my time at present, but will post here again when I find time to take a deep breath and do some careful dismantling. I think there is at least one firm which will sell bands of the correct type and size, but up to me to measure very accurately first of all!

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Diemmess, four very good reasons, hope you can get the bits and fix it.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Big smile on my face. Actually despondency at first when all I could get was a faint hiss with the volume up full no tape movement at all........Then I rediscovered an on/off switch which I had almost never used. (I wonder how many have been shaken when their brand new PC wouldn't start only find it was not switched on at the PSU!)

I bought two new drive belts from GB Audio in Edinburgh. Very expensive, but like Crucial and RAM they have a table of every sort of drive belt and a promise to swap at no charge if not quite the right size. Ordered early afternoon and here in the post this a.m. Then there were hours spent dismantling and reassembly. Over 30 tiny screws [I wonder where the two I have left over should have gone?]

The labels say proudly Made in Japan. Being 40 years old this masterpiece is minimised to the extreme and by the standards of the day assembled by midgets with long thin fingers. Japan was having its own boom in consumer electronics and a no fault aim in production.

Thanks to both for your interest.

Like this post  
rdave13

Likes # 0

Excellent news, Diemmess, that you've succeeded with your project.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks for the update, glad you managed to sort it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's new OS X Beta Seed Program: Run pre-release versions of OS X on your Mac

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer