We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 8 laptop, black screen

Maryp

Likes # 0

I bought an Acer 5349 a few weeks ago but its been having problems opening some web pages which seemed to be a problem with Flash, so I went on thier website and followed the instructions to change an add on, although it didn't help the pages open any better, but when I then restarted the laptop, its now got a black screen. I get to the password page ok, after that it goes blank. I tried CTRL, ALt Delete, got a message saying please wait, with the circle of dots, but that didn't change. Nothing else does anything. Any suggestions?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Microsoft installs flash updates now so you do not need to update it yourself.

See if you can start it in safe mode by holding down the shift button and tapping F8 as the laptop starts.

If so try last good configuration or a system restore.

Like this post
Maryp

Likes # 0

I know its supposed to update itself, but it hadn't and Flash wasn't working, so it offered me an add on with instructions how to change the old one to the new one. I tried shift F8, but it didn't do anything.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Did you hold down the shift button and keep tapping F8 repeatedly as the laptop started.

When I had the same problem Ctrl alt del did work for me so not sure what to suggest now.

Did it come with a factory settings restore partition if so you could try that as a last option but you would loose anything that you have downloaded since you got the laptop.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Best waiting for advice from someone that can really help you with your problem.

when you start the laptop and you are quick enough it should tell you on the screen to press either F10 or F11 I think to get into Factory settings whether it gives you the options of maybe a system restore or CMD I dont know as I have not been down that route before .Hence better waiting for someone else to give you the help that you need.

Bit slow on a Sunday so it could take a while but it will be worth waiting.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Mary, because you can get to the login screen OK, you should be able to go into Safe Mode and do a "System Restore" to a date when everything was working fine. You won't lose any e-mails, pictures, or other personal data by doing this - here's what you need to do:

At the "password page", don't try to login but instead hold down the left shift key on your keyboard, click the little white power icon bottom-right and choose Restart.

Keep the shift key held down until you get the blue screen with white text that says "Choose an Option". If you get that far release the shift key and choose "Troubleshoot your PC" -> "Advanced Options" -> "System Restore" and let the laptop restart. Choose an available restore point that pre-dates your problem.

Like this post
Maryp

Likes # 0

Right, i think I've really messed it up now. I read the thread just below mine about using the Erecovery management tool from pressing alt & F10 so thought I'd try that to go back to how it was brand new (just before I saw the message from Secret Squirrel). But it stuck at 99% of the last bit. It sat like that for an hour, so I restarted it and it went through lots of tests and scans and everything looked ok, until it tried to restart itself and now says 'Windows could not complete the installation, to install windows, restart the installation'. I know I should have made a disk when I first got the laptop, but I didn't. Is my laptop now stuffed without the disk, can I buy one? Any other suggestions, or could I install ubuntu and just not bother with Windows?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Maybe take it back to the shop where you bought it And tell them it would not start even in safe mode so you tried the factory restore without any success and will they fix it as it is still under warranty.

Once again only as a last resort as you may get some information from another forum member that can sort it out for you.

Did that with my granddaughter laptop.99% loaded but would not finalise.

It was a faulty hard drive with her.

If 3 weeks from new take it back if 2nd hand I have no idea.

Like this post
Maryp

Likes # 0

Thanks for your replies and suggestions, I had several plans, either take it back to saisbury's where I bought it, get someone to put ubuntu on it, or to try to put windows 7 on by myself from http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-download-links. Thankfully none of it is necessary, I tried once again with eRecover and it all worked perfectly, so I'm up and running, except it went back to windows 7, which is much better. Thanks again. :-)

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Maryp

Well that is very good news.

Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

I suppose you could put W/8 back on in the future if you so wish.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Ignore xunuogui's post reported to FE as spam.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

See the festive spots creative companies have released for Christmas

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad