We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Data recovery from an inop laptop hard drive

bluesideup

Likes # 0

I have a hitachi hard drive that I removed from my HP laptop that died. I put it into a USB 2.0 SATA enclosure to recover my data and files to my new PC laptop and external backup. After connecting it to my laptop with, the power light illuminates on the hard drive, but there is no sound of the hard drive running, nor does my new PC laptop see the connected hard drive. (It does see the backup external drive).

Is there existing software that will help me recover all of my data from this damaged hard drive?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

It will depend on how damaged the hard-drive is, if it is totally dead then I suspect you will not be able to access the data stored on it.

You say the laptop that you removed the HDD from died, could you post a few more details, like what failed or the cause of the failure?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Can you see the drive in disk management?

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

I can't see how any software can recover data if the drive is not spinning up in the first place as suggested.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Looks like spam reviving an a month old thread.

Like this post
Josephine501

Likes # 0

It sounds like your drive is corrupted. It is always really difficult to restore data from a corrupted drive, especially from a mechanically corrupted drive. But, it is not to say, there is no any chance to restore your inner data back.

You also could run data recovery software to take a chance.

In fact, there are many data recovery program out there. Some of them are free, some of them are paid. You are supposed to select one according to your own conditions.

For example, if you want to have more security of successful data recovery, you could pay for a data recovery program online or data recovery service from a data recovery company.

If you don’t want to spend your money in this, you also could select a drive data recovery freeware to regain your data.

Read more information about corrupted drive data recovery freeware here: http://blog4mark.blogspot.com/2012/11/how-to-repair-corrupted-pen-drive.html

After this trouble, you would understand why we are always asked to make data backups all the time. You should also learn to back up your needed regularly in the future.

Like this post
jetwan

Likes # 0

Just to let you all know that the above suggestion does not work.

Like this post
jetwan

Likes # 0

you may try file recovery program, download one from cnet click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK