We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

3.0 Graphics Card on a 2.0 slot

slimbutfat

Likes # 0

I have a GTX 570 and i would like to upgrade to a GTX 670 and i'm wondering am i able to use a 3.0 Graphics Card on 2.0 Slot if so will it make the card slower or worse or what ever

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

All versions of PCIe are 100% backwards compatible, much like USB. Your device will run at the speed of the slowest part (in this case it'll run at PCIe 2.0 speeds). You could put that card in a PCIe 1.0 1x slot if you wanted and in theory it would still work.

By the way, you won't lose any performance from using PCIe 2.0 x 16 lanes, as no single GPU can utilise all the bandwidth of that. If you are using PCIe 2.0 x8 lanes slot, then you will lose a few FPS ~10%.

Like this post
slimbutfat

Likes # 0

Yeah i have a AsRock Z68 pro3 with 1 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September