We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

using 'Quiethdd' for hard drive head parking issue ...

bluevoid

Likes # 0

Since I bought my new laptop [HP G6-2293sa] in January there has been an intermittent clicking noise coming from the hard drive. As it hasn't appeared to affect the performance of the machine, I wondered if the noise was a hyperactive disk drive head parking issue. I downloaded 'Quiethdd' as I'd read it could potentially resolve the problem. Unfortunately I'm not tech savvy enough to know how to use the programme effectively and wondered if someone could give me advice re same.

Thanks ..

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Transferred to Tech Helproom from Tech Consumer Advice.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

If the laptop is new then I would suggest taking it back as a HDD should not be making such noises. It could be a faulty HDD and liable to fail, in my view better to be safe than sorry so see what the shop says.

Like this post
bluevoid

Likes # 0

Not an issue as I plan on eventually replacing the HDD with an SSD when finances allow. In the meantime I'd like to just get rid of the intermittent clicking as it can be irritating. But I don't really know how to use the settings in 'quiethdd' to their best effect. Hence the reason for posting.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more