We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 8 Tablets

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Anybody with hands in experience of the newer crop of Windows 8 tablets (10 inch)?

I've tried the iPad and didn't go much on it, Android, even in its latest incarnation is still primarily a phone o/s so I'm wondering whether the tried and tested Windows might give better satisfaction.

Reviews are mixed so what I need are personal experiences, if any.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

morddwyd: five hours and no responses should tell you something... :-) From what I've read, W8 tablets are pretty good - but, despite what you say, Android (if we put iOS aside) has become the default for tablets. My wife has a Samsung tablet and absolutely loves it. And she's no techie... In your position, I'd definitely give an Android tablet a try.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

I have just recently received a Nexus 7 for my 70th birthday. It runs Android, which I had never used before, and I am getting on really well with it. It is very easy to use and I am amazed how little space apps take up and how capable they are. Had I known beforehand what I was going to receive I would probably offered the difference and gone for the Nexus 10 instead, but I am in no way disappointed. Screen display is excellent for photos and the couple of movies I have tried, and sound is as good as my MP3 player. It is quite light, and in the case of the 7" version, fits in the inside pocket. It still won't replace my desktop for serious work, but, for web browsing, e-mail and entertainment away from home it is great. With the Nexus 7 I have managed to source a separate keyboard that also clips on as a cover for the screen and this greatly improves input as I have the extra space on screen that the on-screen keyboard would otherwise occupy. I would certainly recommend having a go with Android before discounting it completely as you may well be surprised by it in use.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Thank you for your responses, but I’m afraid they don’t answer the question – What is a Windows 8 10 inch tablet like to use ?

I already have an Android tablet, a Samsung, and have found it wanting, both in speed and an outdated o/s, Gingerbread, instead of ICS, which will not be updated unless and until Samsung decides to update it

This is the same for all branded Android devices except the subsidised Nexus range.

Some reviewers, notably PCA, give Win 8 a glowing report, others do not. I am looking for the views of the ordinary user, rather than a professional journalist.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

There are not many Windows 8 tablets around and you need to differentiate between Windows 8 RT and the full blown Windows 8. They seem relatively expensive.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

"Thank you for your responses, but I’m afraid they don’t answer the question – What is a Windows 8 10 inch tablet like to use ?"

Hence my original remark. Doesn't it seem strange to you that, with all the visitors to the forum, not to mention the regular experts, no-one - so far - seems to have an opinion? That tells me that, whatever reviewers might be saying, people are voting with their feet - towards Android, and away from W8. Who knows why...

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

What is a Windows 8 10 inch tablet like to use ?:

One word Magic, Looked at the iPad, Nope not for me.

Read about Android tablets, again, Not for me.

Been struggling with a New Toshiba Laptop This One,

After using Windows 8 for a couple of weeks, Finding it easy now I've taken control of it.

The Windows 8 Tablet I chose was Samsung GT-P8510 Tablet P8510 10.1" 32GB WIFI Windows RT This is it

morddwyd if there is anything you want to know specifically, Ask away.

I'm Setting up a New Desktop PC at this moment, But I am looking in here off an on.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Woolwell

Thanks for the heads up about RT and the full version. I had thought that RT was just a slimmer version, but it seems to be almost an o/s in its own right.

Nor sure I want to be tied to a poorly stocked app store!

Ian in Northampton

“Doesn't it seem strange to you that, with all the visitors to the forum, not to mention the regular experts, no-one - so far - seems to have an opinion?”

Not at al strange. Windows 8 tablets are thin on the ground and, as has been said, relatively expensive and not many visitors to the forum, experts or otherwise, have used one long enough to form an opinion.

“people are voting with their feet - towards Android, and away from W8. Who knows why...”

The reason why is obvious, Windows 8 is not popular.

However, if the number of people voting with their feet was the only, or even he major, criterion then the iPad wins hands down. As an o/s it still has the market share, tough only just, over Android, and as a device still has massive share over its nearest rival Samsung.

It s massively popular, not least with our own FE, who has made it fairly clear on occasion, as an IT professional that he would be lost without hi. It is simply not for me, neither is Android.

If I’d asked about Blackberry tablets I’d have got even less replies!

* Lazarus The 2nd*

Thanks for that.

Samsung again. I already have a Galaxy S1, a Galaxy Note, and a Galaxy Tab. I was hoping to broaden my horizons a little! The trouble is, they do make exceedingly good stuff!

Question, in response to your kin offer. I note that RT will not install Chrome. How about other browsers – Opera, Safari, FF? I’ve never used IE as a browser of choice in my life, and I really don’t want to start.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Just moving this up in the hope of a reply from lazarus

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It's not a tablet but have a look at the Asus Vivobook S200.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It's not a tablet but have a look at the Asus Vivobook S200.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen