We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New computer Lenovo Windows 8. virgin said they do NOT support it

lindabornfree

Likes # 0

I have made numerous phone calls to Virginmedia since November trying to get wifi set up they finally told me last week that they do NOT support windows 8 and if I want to use wifi I should go back to my old computer; I immediately gave notice to leave. so I want a new network that will support windows 8 and help me to set it up straight away, but I need to know independently that the network will support windows 8 and are reputable

Like this post
aquatarkus

Likes # 1

Hi there what exactly is the issue you are having? Windows 8 PC's and laptops run with no problem on the Virginmedia network. What I think the tech support meant when they said they don't support Win8 is that they haven't yet got the training inplace for their support staff to be able to help with Win8 issues, same thing happened when Vista and Win 7 first came out, Virgin (along with most other ISP's) only have the training inplace for the previous operating system it can take them anything up to 6 months to add support for new operating systems.

Are you trying to connect the Superhub (ok it's not so super)or are you using one of the older virgin cable modems.

What issue are you having with setting up the Wi-Fi connection?

Regards Aquatarkus

Like this post
bjh.

Likes # 1

I'm quite certain that there's absolutely no problem using a Windows 8 computer on VirginMedia.

I don't think an ISP is necessarily responsible for giving technical advice as to how any computer should connect (particularly wirelessly) to the router. I know BT and TalkTalk will only give the most basic advice and, when I was with Virgin, that was also true. I know their security suite (VM's own) doesn't work on Win 8, and it's quite possible their set-up CD isn't yet Win 8 ready...I don't know...

That all sounds rather negative... What's rather more positive is that you are here, on this forum. We do give advice - freely!

So, if you can state, type of modem, make of computer (laptop/desktop), any wireless info you can give, has anything changed since the old computer connected (moved? changed modem?), have you still got the old computer, and do you know your virginmedia connection info (something like [email protected], and a password like QC4Ew6T)?

I'm sure you'll end up connected! Promise ;) (nearly, anyway)...

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

No Idea what you are on about! what as Win8 got to do with it being Networked

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

What is the exact problem? all you need is a WiFi capable router, make sure the WiFi part is switched on/enabled on it, then on laptop search for available networks and logon using the WiFi password on back/underneath router.

Please tell us what equipment you have from Virginmedia - modem, router, and if you are on cable or asdl+ phone line.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I am with Virginmedia and have no problems using W/8.

Apart from not being able to connect to the internet maybe tell us what you have already tried.

Maybe give us the model number and whether laptop or desktop.

Was it an upgrade to W/8 or did the computer come with it installed.

Like this post
aquatarkus

Likes # 0

This is the 3rd or 4th time some of us have tried to help someone who has just joined the forum, made one post for help and then nothing is heard from them again. Not sure about the rest of you but gets me slightly annoyed.

regards Aquatarkus

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Maybe she has to wait to be able to use another computer as her own one will not connect.

3 months without a connection I can understand her frustration.

There is always the Virginmedia Forum that she could try but as I see it it is not a Virginmedia problem.

Anyhow I have had a lot of help on their forum when I needed it.

Virginmedia Forum

Just wonder if she has already been cut off.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...