We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Brief hangs when on the Internet

Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Windows 7

When I'm using my PC offline it's a whizz. But as soon as I go on line it's a different story. Straight away, whatever site I'm on hangs for just a few seconds. The little blue circle goes round a few time, like it's loading something. Then the page gives a little jump and it's ok. Until I either turn the page or go to another website. Then it's the same again and again?

It's a bit like trying to watch a video on YouTube, when sometimes it keeps stopping due to buffering?

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

rdave13

Yes, but it was doing this before I cloned it and the reason for my cloning was it sait there was a bad block on the other drive. Which I wrongly it seems assumed that it was that which was causing these problems. But now it seems it wasn't that at all, but it has to be something?

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

When you say...

"in browser turn java script off and try it"

Can you tell me where that is in firefox?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

A slight corruption due to previous malware? Hope you're not going to use the old drive as a data storage? :(

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Options. content.And untick it.

Are you using the latest version of Firefox.Version 19.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Woodchip

"Try turning the router off"!

I tried that, I thought you might have sussed it, because initially it was or seemed much better, but sadly it didn't last.

rdave13

Thanx for the links, I'll give them a look and get back to you with the results.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Try this Program, TCP Optimiser click on the optimise button and choose you network adapter. or other way round

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

woodchip , with respect, it can make things worse, if you don't understand the program.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Never as for me using it. on laptop netbook and desktops

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Graphicool1, it's not a browser issue because you say that the problem occurs in different ones. It's also worth mentioning that Windows Vista and later auto-optimizes Internet connections so it's probably best not to try "TCP Optimizer". Your download and upload speeds are perfectly respectable.

From what you've posted so far it seems like there's something running in the background that's interfering with the loading of webpages. Likely culprits are software firewalls or AV programs. To test for this, restart your PC in "Safe Mode with Networking" and browse a few websites. Reboot normally when you've arrived at a conclusion and let us know the outcome.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen