We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Brief hangs when on the Internet

Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Windows 7

When I'm using my PC offline it's a whizz. But as soon as I go on line it's a different story. Straight away, whatever site I'm on hangs for just a few seconds. The little blue circle goes round a few time, like it's loading something. Then the page gives a little jump and it's ok. Until I either turn the page or go to another website. Then it's the same again and again?

It's a bit like trying to watch a video on YouTube, when sometimes it keeps stopping due to buffering?

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

rdave13

Just tried your TCP fix, after reading it I was full of high hopes, sadly though it wasn't ment to be, still the same.

You were saying, or rather hinting that it wouldn't be a good idea to use the old drive for storage. Well, no not initially, first I intend running 'Data Lifeguard Diagnostic and Repair' on it first. Because WD say this can fix the problem. I cloned the drive to another HD because they recommended I back up the drive because the fix will inevitaly lose data. Then I intend to reformat the disk and run the initial test again to see if it finds anything or not. When I'm finaly happy that it's all clear, I possibly will use it for storage??

Jock1e

Yes I'm using FF 19

Turning off JAVA stopped the problem, however, with JAVA turned off I'm unable to use PCA's 'Option's' when writing a response. As you can see, I had to turn it on again so that I could write your name etc in 'Bold'?

So, now that we've or I should say you've solved the problem, how do I get round the knock-on effect and quite likely there will bound to be other problems because JAVA is turned off??

Like this post
c4rm0

Likes # 0

Your upload speed is terrible 0.3mbps the average is 1-2mbps this could be because of congestion on the testing server or your actual connection isn't great have you tried resetting your router ?

Upload speed shouldn't affect Browser speed as you are downloading the page from the web server not serving web pages from your machine

Start Internet Explorer with no add on's to see if you have the problem , Try Google's DNS servers instead of your ISP's 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4, Use Ccleaner to clear your browser cache / temp files, Try a tool called complete Internet Repair, Check to make sure your NIC is negotiating at 100/1000mbps full duplex depending on your Switch/Router speed

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Graphicool1

Really don't know what the answer is I know that I had 2 problems.One was I had an unsigned driver so it was forever looking for a new driver for it,Also I used a different Host file and once I removed that things got back to normal.

Best thing to do is Turn Task manager on and see what is using up the CPU when changing pages etc.

System idle process should be showing about 97% if nothing running.

If you don't use Windows Defender go to Services and switch it off and also stop it from running.

While in there also go to Windows Updates and switch that off as well and stop that from running.

Just go back the 2nd Tuesday of every month and switch it back on for the latest updates.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I suppose you could change the channel on your router to see if you get a better signal.

Do you get a lot of Waiting for on the bottom left when changing pages usually it is waiting for PCA just wondering if anything else is redirecting you.

Do you use an add blocker if not maybe time to try one.

I think you said you have ran all the security programs could you tell us what you have tried.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

c4rm0

"have you tried resetting your router"

Yes often

"Try Google's DNS servers instead of your ISP's"

I just ran a DNS test programme, that finds the fastest DNS in your region and globally. The software was called 'NameBench' its result was...

"Your current primary DNS server is Fastest"

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Jock1e

"Do you use an add blocker"

Yes...Adblock Plus 2.2.3

"you have ran all the security programs could you tell us what you have tried"

My regular, daily security software is...

Avast - Spyware Terminator - Spyware Blaster - CCleaner

Every week...

Super anti Spyware (SAS) - MBAM - McAfee Security Scan Plus

these are all I can think of off the top of my head.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Some poor reviews for your Spyware Terminator.

Maybe try this and see if it finds any problems.

Click here

Reviews

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Sorry ignore the last never read the last part of your reply

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I think Jock1e has it. Spyware Terminator has an AV side as well as anti spyware. Even though you might have disabled the antivirus of ST it's still there. Try uninstalling Spyware Terminator. Reboot then see how your browsing goes.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Jock1e

I can't access 'Bold' print, 'Italic' or any of the other things on this page, even with JAVA activated this morning?

"Best thing to do is Turn Task manager on and see what is using up the CPU when changing pages etc."

nothing is using up CPU other than 'System idle process' and that's showing at 97 - 99%

Also you might be interseted to know, that there hasn't been any lag or hang so far today, even with JAVA on! Unless I open another instance of PCA, so there's two instances of PCA running at the same time, then it hangs and sticks!

Regarding the link to the Spyware Terminator Review, out of 257 responses 65 said they didn't like it. I don't see that as a bad result for ST. Also out of the 65 many were moaning about things that you can choose not to install? Which I haven't

rdave13

I'm reluctant to uninstall 'Spyware Terminator', I've been using it for years, without a hiccup. I also installed it on my wifes laptop, when she got it some 6 years ago, she hasn't had any propblem?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......