We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Brief hangs when on the Internet

Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Windows 7

When I'm using my PC offline it's a whizz. But as soon as I go on line it's a different story. Straight away, whatever site I'm on hangs for just a few seconds. The little blue circle goes round a few time, like it's loading something. Then the page gives a little jump and it's ok. Until I either turn the page or go to another website. Then it's the same again and again?

It's a bit like trying to watch a video on YouTube, when sometimes it keeps stopping due to buffering?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

A slight corruption due to previous malware? Hope you're not going to use the old drive as a data storage? :(

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Woodchip

"Try turning the router off"!

I tried that, I thought you might have sussed it, because initially it was or seemed much better, but sadly it didn't last.

rdave13

Thanx for the links, I'll give them a look and get back to you with the results.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Try this Program, TCP Optimiser click on the optimise button and choose you network adapter. or other way round

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

woodchip , with respect, it can make things worse, if you don't understand the program.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Never as for me using it. on laptop netbook and desktops

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Graphicool1, it's not a browser issue because you say that the problem occurs in different ones. It's also worth mentioning that Windows Vista and later auto-optimizes Internet connections so it's probably best not to try "TCP Optimizer". Your download and upload speeds are perfectly respectable.

From what you've posted so far it seems like there's something running in the background that's interfering with the loading of webpages. Likely culprits are software firewalls or AV programs. To test for this, restart your PC in "Safe Mode with Networking" and browse a few websites. Reboot normally when you've arrived at a conclusion and let us know the outcome.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

rdave13

Just tried your TCP fix, after reading it I was full of high hopes, sadly though it wasn't ment to be, still the same.

You were saying, or rather hinting that it wouldn't be a good idea to use the old drive for storage. Well, no not initially, first I intend running 'Data Lifeguard Diagnostic and Repair' on it first. Because WD say this can fix the problem. I cloned the drive to another HD because they recommended I back up the drive because the fix will inevitaly lose data. Then I intend to reformat the disk and run the initial test again to see if it finds anything or not. When I'm finaly happy that it's all clear, I possibly will use it for storage??

Jock1e

Yes I'm using FF 19

Turning off JAVA stopped the problem, however, with JAVA turned off I'm unable to use PCA's 'Option's' when writing a response. As you can see, I had to turn it on again so that I could write your name etc in 'Bold'?

So, now that we've or I should say you've solved the problem, how do I get round the knock-on effect and quite likely there will bound to be other problems because JAVA is turned off??

Like this post
c4rm0

Likes # 0

Your upload speed is terrible 0.3mbps the average is 1-2mbps this could be because of congestion on the testing server or your actual connection isn't great have you tried resetting your router ?

Upload speed shouldn't affect Browser speed as you are downloading the page from the web server not serving web pages from your machine

Start Internet Explorer with no add on's to see if you have the problem , Try Google's DNS servers instead of your ISP's 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4, Use Ccleaner to clear your browser cache / temp files, Try a tool called complete Internet Repair, Check to make sure your NIC is negotiating at 100/1000mbps full duplex depending on your Switch/Router speed

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

c4rm0

"have you tried resetting your router"

Yes often

"Try Google's DNS servers instead of your ISP's"

I just ran a DNS test programme, that finds the fastest DNS in your region and globally. The software was called 'NameBench' its result was...

"Your current primary DNS server is Fastest"

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android M Developer Preview announced at Google I/O: Android M UK release date and new features. Wh?......

IDG UK Sites

Why I think the Apple Watch sucks and you'd be mad to buy it

IDG UK Sites

Ben & Holly's Game of Thrones titles spoof is delightfully silly

IDG UK Sites

Mac OS X 10.11 release date rumours: all the new features expected in Yosemite successor