We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Brief hangs when on the Internet

Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Windows 7

When I'm using my PC offline it's a whizz. But as soon as I go on line it's a different story. Straight away, whatever site I'm on hangs for just a few seconds. The little blue circle goes round a few time, like it's loading something. Then the page gives a little jump and it's ok. Until I either turn the page or go to another website. Then it's the same again and again?

It's a bit like trying to watch a video on YouTube, when sometimes it keeps stopping due to buffering?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You may not be able to do anything about it, as it may just be that you have poor download speeds Have you tried running a test with Namesco BBMax online

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

No, until now i've never heard of them. but I'll try now. Okay, been there done that, it doesn't mean anything to me but here is the result...

Download Speed = 5875kbps

Upload Speed = 376kbps

Pick the bones out of that and then let me know if it's good, bad, or mediochre

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Download is ok but Upload is poor speed you may be getting corrupt packets as well

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

"you may be getting corrupt packets as well"?

I've run all the usual tests for viruses, malware, spyware, trojans etc and my PC has passed everyone. The above numbers I posted are much higher than they used to be before I upgraded my ISP and I wasn't getting this problem then. In fact I upgraded last year and this problem has only started happening over the past couple of weeks?

I've been thinking things like overheating, PSU power low, since I recently installed a new sound card...Creative Sound Blaster Z

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Maybe try command prompt and type in ipconfig /flushdns then press enter on the keyboard,See if that makes any difference.

It should tell you that the DNS cache has been flushed.

Like woodchip says the download speed is nearly 6 Mb the upload speed is fairly poor I used to get that with Virginmedia when my download speed was 2Mb and upload speed was about 440 kbps which is slightly more than you are getting.

maybe check with your ISP to see what speeds you should be getting.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Maybe check device manager to see if any problems in there.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Try turning the router off, it may have a button at the back. start it back up after 5 minutes

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Jock1e

I tried the flush downs, it made no difference. I use Firefox but I've tried Comodo Ice Dragon and IE9 and it's more or less the same with them. I've just noticed that sometimes, when it's having a short lag, at the top of the page it says, if using Firefox...mozilla (not responding). Also while I'm waiting for it to respond I can move the mouse about on the page.

As for the speed, just ove 10MB is exactly what I'm supposed to be getting, it used to be 5MB. As such I'm not complaining about the speed. I live in the middle of the Norfolk countryside, in a remote village, believe me when I tell you that this is fast for us.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

in browser turn java script off and try it

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Graphicool1, this is on the cloned hdd?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED