We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Non computer question - a Lamona electric hob help or manual needed?

Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi Guys

Can anyone point me in the right direction. Last night, while cooking dinner, our 'Lamona stainless steel electric hob' flashed, went bang and switched off! Although the oven still works, but I imagine they're wired seperately. The strange thing is though the cooker is shown in the fuse box, the hob isn't and nothing was tripped. So I'm at a loss as to what's happened.

I just thought I'd ask, on the off chance anyone had any insight on this product? Failing that I'll give the electrician a bell, although I'm trying to avoid having to pay for a fix. Being as you have to pay £30 or £40 plus just to call them out. Not only that but the ones round here don't seem that competant. Last time I have need to call them out, I had to tell them how the fuse box worked and they have a good reputation??!!

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

As above also if you cannot follow the simple steps I said you should get somebody in to do it

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

"Brown Wire is Live, used to be Red"

Yes, I know, I think it was a governmental tactical ploy. They changed the colour to cut down on the amount of money they had to pay out to pensioners!

"Can you post a link to a picture of your box?"

Well, I can, but I will have to take a picture of it, which I'm not able to do at this moment. Also, now that I've phoned the electrician and he said he will come round tomorrow lunch time. I don't feel that I should mess with it until he's at least he's had a chance to see it and give his opinion. So, I'll take some pictures of it tomorrow morning, in daylight and before he arrives and I'll post them on 'Image Shack' or 'Photo Shack' or whatever it's called.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I think one of the rings as got a short and will need replacing

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

The best advise here is to get an Electrician. Don't take advise such as "The oven Switch is for both. and the trip will not go off if its a short from line to neutral".

It doesn't take much current to pass through you to kill you, anything above 100mA and your gonna be in trouble.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

UPDATE

Links to pictures of the fuse boxes, as promised...

http://imageshack.us/a/img197/672/imgp4238q.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img803/7/imgp4237.jpg

As I've already said, there are no fuses, these boxes are new. All there are is 'Trip Switches'. When a switch is tripped, you look at the board to see which item was the culprit. It's easy if it's a washing machine, or Fridge etc. But a lot harder when it's a light or something plugged into a wall socket.

When you find what threw the switch, you remove the offending article, then reset the board trip switches. No fuses to replace, also it makes it safer to check out the offending article.

My problem however, was that when the hob went bang no switch was tripped! When the electrician looked at the hob, he too, as I, believed the hob to be dead. But unlike me, he had equipment to check if there was any current present? This was when he discovered the hob was far from dead! It transpired that the problem was with the little light that told you wether the hob was on or off! It had blown, but the hob was still working, hence no switch had tripped.

When/if, you look at the photos, you'll see that none of the wires have been replaced since the fire and are blackened. Some were loose and the screws were so burn't they couln't be tightened. The electrician said that the board would have to be replaced.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If there was a Bang, there was a big volts short, Hob and Oven are connected together. Suggest you get somebody that knows what they are doing to check it out, Like domestic Appliance Supplier

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

That is a standard circuit breaker board which is nothing new and is found with most modern electrical installations. Fuse boards are gradually being replaced. An electrician who states that he or she does not recognise it or is unfamiliar with it is either incompetent or lying. Either way I would not employ that person. You need a qualified appliance repairer.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

I am not employing the boss from the company that said that. Their company is local to us, but their avertisement states them as commercial, rather than domestic electricians. They were never keen to come out and price a job. In the end we got so fed up with their lack of response, that we looked elsewhere, that's how we came upon the company we have at present.

The governer came out yesterday afternoon, he was here for 3 hours, in which time he provided and installed an emersion timer, changed the allocation of two switches, one light one fan in the bathroom. Replaced a single light fitting with a bank of four spotlights in the kitchen and sorted the hob. Following this he checked out and made some adjustments to the circuit breaker and charged £150, which seems like a lot of money to me. If I took 3 hours to paint a picture I wouldn't expect, let alone ask for anything close to that. But if it has to be then so be it, he seemed to know what he was doing and was competent.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Agreed, I was fitting these things over twenty years ago when I was doing house wiring.

They are now law since the 17th edition electrical regs came out June 2008, must have miniture breakers and an RCD, old wire type fuses can not be used in a rewire.

Like any other electrical circuit screws need to be tight as loose contacts cause high resistance and therefore heat which can turn into a fire very easily.

Seen the effect when an immersion heater switch caused a fire in an airing cupboard and a loss of the whole second floor of the house.

My own Fuse board needed to be replaced as the main switch connection started to burn away (spotted during an annual inspection).

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

3 hours work, plus he has to get there using his own transport, has to be qualified which he has to pay for, has to study for this in his own time. Also supplied a timer, I think you got off very lightly at £150.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 comparison review: Apple takes on Samsung once again in smartphone...

IDG UK Sites

Just another opinion about Apple's new iPhone

IDG UK Sites

Intel Xeon E5 v3 Haswell processors review: we check out the fastest chips on the planet

IDG UK Sites

Apple Watch hands-on review | Apple Watch design, spec, features & UK pricing