We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Non computer question - a Lamona electric hob help or manual needed?

Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi Guys

Can anyone point me in the right direction. Last night, while cooking dinner, our 'Lamona stainless steel electric hob' flashed, went bang and switched off! Although the oven still works, but I imagine they're wired seperately. The strange thing is though the cooker is shown in the fuse box, the hob isn't and nothing was tripped. So I'm at a loss as to what's happened.

I just thought I'd ask, on the off chance anyone had any insight on this product? Failing that I'll give the electrician a bell, although I'm trying to avoid having to pay for a fix. Being as you have to pay £30 or £40 plus just to call them out. Not only that but the ones round here don't seem that competant. Last time I have need to call them out, I had to tell them how the fuse box worked and they have a good reputation??!!

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Well if it's easier to pay some one to do it thats the way to go, But my way of thinking is if its broke you cannot make it any worse. When you get it out the rest should be easy. Just remove any panels mainly where switches are. If there was a loose one, thats where to start, As I said look for any black marks as this is a High Volts short

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I certainly wouldn't be touching it until I knew how to isolate it

as FE says does it have its own circuit breaker?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

To Isolate it should have 30amp fuse near cooker Fuse needs removing or take breaker out in Supply line, where all breakers or fuses are together

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

The place where all the fuses are for everything electrical are in the fuse box. But like I said at the begining, non of the switches have been tripped! Not only this but there doesn't appear to be a switch for the hob, well, not one that's marked anyway. There is only one marked switch relating to the cooker and that is the Oven?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

The oven Switch is for both. and the trip will not go off if its a short from line to neutral So remove Cooker Fuse in Fuse Box This will be on it own line as cable as to be thicker cable for amps it carries. may be a 60amp fuse switch near to main fuses in its own box

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

No, I'm sorry, I don't want to disagree, not least because you sound like you know what your talking about. However, the fuse box I have seems to be (From what the electricians I've had round are saying) something new and as such they are unfamiliar with it. There are two fuse boxes in total one is for the night storage heaters and the other is for everything else. There are no other boxes only wires.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

the other is for everything else, is the one that will have all different breakers in it for Ring Main a Lights Shower Immersion Heater Cooker etc. If you turn of the main switch on this box all power will be cut to house electrics, night storage heaters are a relic from the past, thought they had phased them all out

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS there will still be a 40 or 60 amp cooker breaker in the box. you could also use a mains Screwdriver that lights in the handle when there is power these are from 50p to £1 to buy. Brown Wire is Live, used to be Red

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Can you post a link to a picture of your box?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I made the mistake several years ago of purchasing a house had had work doen to it and didn't get an electrical inspection prior to purchase. After a few months I began to realise that there were problems and to cut a long story short I ended up nearly £1000 poorer but safe.

I strongly suggest that you get in a qualified appliance repairer and if necessary a full electrical inspection. There are far too many fires, etc caused by poor electrical work.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days