We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Boot up issues

filthyphil

Likes # 0

When I start my laptop, the fan comes on but then goes a bit quieter and the laptop won't actually boot up. I do not get anything on the screen. The lights are on but nothing happening? Any suggestions to the problem?
It's an HP pavillion. Many thanks in advance

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

If you type Hp Pavilion into Google you will get many models so it would help if you could post the model number.

Also is this a new problem or rather have you been having other issues prior to the laptop finally not booting?

Do you get any beeps after pressing the power button these will probably be a mixture of long and short? What operating system do you use?

The more details the better we are to try and help you.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If your version has a LED next to the Caps Lock, does this pulse after the initial activity? If so, it's almost certainly the mobo that's failed.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

after pressing start. keep taping Del so see if it will go to BIOS instead of Del It May be like My HP Laptop F10

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Disconnect mains lead

remove battery

press and hold power button for 30 seconds

reconnect mains lead (leave battery off for now)

and re attempt to boot.

Like this post
filthyphil

Likes # 0

Laptop is HP Pavillion DV6

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

That series has known issues with the graphics chip. The only way I've managed to cure it (in one case only temporarily) is to reflow the mobo. Not for the faint hearted, but google 'reflow dv6' if you want more info.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Reflowing.

You are correct it is not for the faint hearted. did once with a graphics card that cost me a fiver. Bought it as faulty, reflowed it ended up with a £100+ GPU working perfectly. But it can go horribly wrong and you can completely destroy an item.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote