We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Which RAM is best for my mobo?

TequilaSunrise
Resolved

Likes # 0

Long story short...there was a mishap which resulted in the pins on my processor being bent. PC wasnt anything fancy (store bought back in 2006 for a mere £300) it was working out more expensive to replace the processor/heatsink/fan than it was to get a few processor, fan, heatsink, RAM and motherboard (perhaps because I have an aversion to buying 2nd hand electrical items/components).

While I'm pretty adept at fixing problems that occur when the pc is switched on, i'm virtually useless at building them. Its literally like a foreign language.

I have everything I need to get my pc back up and running except RAM. Now the mobo I have is asrock n68-vs3 fx (dual channel DDR3 1600). It previously had 4gb (2x2). I would prefer a slight upgrade at least although i'm not looking to spend more than £40 as this was only really a patch up job until I can afford to buy a new one next year (just started working again after being made redundant).

I've had different advice from different people. With one telling me specifically to go for cosair (but he is a dedicated pc gamer where I only play sims 3 and WoW on the pc, everything else is xbox).

Would anyone be able to advise on a reliable good value for money RAM that would be compatible with my motherboard please?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 1

Personally I normally use Crucial, never had a bad stick from them and their prices are competitive. As you don't have a working system you can't run the system scanner for their recommendation. However if you Click Here you can use their Memory Advisor tool and you can input your motherboard for their recommendation.

Like this post  
TequilaSunrise

Likes # 0

thanks i'll take a look :)

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

What OS? If 32 bit, max is 3Gb.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Stop running out of cellular data on your iPhone, see which apps use the most data