We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Setting up Email on Nexus 7

PTimms

Likes # 0

Hi all. I have just bought my partner a Nexus 7. (She complains that I hog the PC). I am trying to set up her email account using the email app that has come bundled with the tablet. She has a tiscali.co.uk email address (now part of TalkTalk). As I understand it, I need to use POP 3 settings i.e. pop.tiscali.co.uk & smtp.tiscali.co.uk. I have tried this and get an error message, "Couldn't open connection to server". I have been on the phone to the TalkTalk tech help line but they can't help, saying that the port numbers are redundant or someting like that. She is pleased with the tablet and it would be a shame if I could not sort this for her. Thank You for your help.

Paul

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Hi

First, ensure wireless is on and the Nexus can connect to the internet.

EMail set up - have a look at the account settings on your PC and use exactly the same on the nexus. Standard ports are, incoming port 110 outgoing port 587

I have set My wife's to "Never delete message from server" as she does occasionally get on the PC and deletes messages there.

Like this post
PTimms

Likes # 0

Hi John. Thanks for the info but no luck I'm afraid. I have looked at TalkTalks email settings on the PC and it gives info regarding settings for a talktalk email addres, eg. mail.talktalk.net (port 110) & smtp.talktalk.net. ( port 587). There are no settings for a tiscali account other than I have mentioned previously.

Like this post
PTimms

Likes # 0

Hi John. Thanks for the info but no luck I'm afraid. I have looked at TalkTalks email settings on the PC and it gives info regarding settings for a talktalk email addres, eg. mail.talktalk.net (port 110) & smtp.talktalk.net. ( port 587). There are no settings for a tiscali account other than I have mentioned previously.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

If you use mail.talktalk.net and smtp.talktalk.net - does this work?

tiscali e-mail addresses will now be served on talktalk servers.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Where did you look for the settings? Jollyjohn was referring to your pc. Your wife can receive e-mails on the PC and so look at those settings, write them down and then put them into the Nexus.

Like this post
PTimms

Likes # 0

I have tried both talktalk settings....................Taken from the PC...............I have also written them down and taken careful note of what I have written down. ......................Still no joy John. I think in the long run I shall tell her to use the new Gmail account she has.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Apologies for not getting back to you yesterday, I could not log in to PCA site before I went to work.

Are you sure the Nexus is connected to the internet?

What error messages do you get when trying the e-mail settings?

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

PTimms

I still haven't set up Tiscali account due to similat probs to you.

So I logged in to TT web mail and save the page to favs.

I have had a Tiscali email since 2003 and gained a TT.net address when I went onto broadband.

On my N7 in the email app my .net address was already there, presumably through the wonders of 'sync'.

Unfortunately the same didn't happen with TT.co.uk.

Will follow your thread with interest and the best of luck.

I tend to use my gmail address more now as it is easier to access.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

I have tiscali account set up on Nexus 7 - using IMAP rather than POP.

Incoming settings (IMAP):
imap.tiscali.co.uk (using port 143)

Outgoing settings (SMTP):
my broadband service provider's (not TalkTalk) SMTP details using port 587 (including broadband email login details so that I can send out emails wherever I am over the SMTP servers of my broadband provider, but still using my tiscali email address)

All works fine apart from a glitch in the stock Nexus email app that means that when checking email one often has to switch to another folder and back to the inbox to get the process to complete properly.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added