We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

doc files cannot open

nutty norm

Likes # 0

I had an e-mail that i could not open well i did open it in a fashion i put it in word pad and it was a jumble it have as many pages as i could not count in the end it was like a puzzle i managed in the end to print two pages that were readable in the end i downloaded office 2007 which did not seem to help any ideas would be a help, Nutty norm

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

What was the three letter fie extension?

Like this post
nutty norm

Likes # 0

Nutty norm Hear again, thanks for the reply but this does not answer the question, I Will start a gain i received an e-mail from company about a certain job i had had done and wanting a report on the matter the e-mail was in a doc file which i unable to open, i put it in word pad which made it all jumbled up and so i put on windows office word document thinking that would help but it did not help , is there any other free programs that i could use out there thanks for your patience, nutty norm.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

was it?

.txt

.doc

.rft

.pdf

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I couldn't answer the question with the info you supplied. But by three letter extension I mean exactly what Fruit Bat has asked.Until we know what type of file you are trying to open it is difficult to point you in the right direction.

If it was in a .doc format then Office 2007 would have opened it in fact any and all of the free office suites will be able to open it.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Was the extension .docx. If so earlier versions of Word prior to 2007 will n bot open them without the MS Compatibility extension.

Wordpad will not open .doc formats as they would in Word itself. All the jumble /rubbish is the document for mating commands which only Word itself can interpret.

What do you mean by "The email was in a doc format". Emails don't come in doc format. Do you mean that there was a file attached to the email which was in doc format.

Like this post
nutty norm

Likes # 0

Thanks fruit bat, it was in .doc & adobe reader, which i still could not open, also from alanrwood most of the last paragraph do you mean that there was a file attached to the e-mail which was in doc format is correct i will try and download the Office 2007, and try again, nutty norm

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

I am now even more confused. Do you mean that you had two versions of the same file attached to an email, one in .doc and one in .pdf format.

Do you have a genuine version of Office 2007 or are you downloading a trail version??? ( I am not sure but I don't actually think there is a trial version of Microsoft Office 2007.

You will need a pdf reader to open a pdf file as Office will not do so. I recommend Foxit Reader as a free program for this.

For reading a .doc file go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891090 and download the viewer or try http://www.officeviewers.com/

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow