We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Monitor problem on XP

Liza

Likes # 0

On boot up monitor shows vertical lines and so will not start up. Is it the graphic card (MSI). The monitor is iiyama E431S. My pc is very old but has been great for the last 10 years. I connected the monitor cable to my tv but it did not do anything. Please help. Liza

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

The first thing I'd try is to beg/borrow/steal another monitor to eliminate - or not - that as the cause of the problem. It's either going to be - I'd guess - a faulty monitor, a faulty VGA socket or a fault with your graphics card/chip (or, least likely, a faulty cable).

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

My pc is very old but has been great for the last 10 years.

Does it have a seperate graphics card?

if so remove and refit the graphics card and retry. This is because overtime they can work out of the slot due to expansion and contraction (even though screwed dpwn at one end.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If its a LCD Monitor I would say its Monitor, if its Crt then it will be faulty graphics card

Like this post
Liza

Likes # 0

Thank for your replies. Yes, could be a faulty cable, or the card has moved. It is LCD 17". I have not checked my pc for a long time so will open and see. And of course will keep you informed. I am also having trouble with my laptop mail that's why I could not be in touch sooner. I will phone my provider tomorrow. Liza

Like this post
Liza

Likes # 0

Thank for your replies. Yes, could be a faulty cable, or the card has moved. It is LCD 17". I have not checked my pc for a long time so will open and see. And of course will keep you informed. I am also having trouble with my laptop mail that's why I could not be in touch sooner. I will phone my provider tomorrow. Liza

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

While you have the graphics card out you could try starting the computer without it to see if it will work ok.

There are a lot of computers that have on board graphics as well and will work without the card.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

My fear is that the PC does indeed have integrated graphics which may have failed in which case a replacement card is called for. So it would be useful to know the make and model of the PC.

Have to tried connecting the laptop to the monitor to see if that gets the monitor to work? Also, if you have a TV with a VGA connection, you could try connecting the PC to the TV and see if that works.

Like this post
Liza

Likes # 0

Thank you Jock1e and Xania.
The desktop is AMD Athlon 2800 with AGP graffix 256 card. I checked, it has not moved. I tried to get pc to work on laptop but it did not maybe because the laptop is 64 bit and desktop 32 bit. I also tried on my telly which is a panasonic HD LED again nothing happened. Like you say I will remove the card and try to start. Yes I think I need to change it but I do not think I will get AGP. I tried a Zotac VGA card before but it did not work. I was also thinking perhaps the heatsink need to be seen. I can open and check if that is advisable. Thank you for help, Liza

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If you remove the G card you need to plug monitor into onboard graphics socket

Like this post
Liza

Likes # 0

Jock1e

I hasten to write because my connection has worked but not with the agp graphics card. I thought I had better try with Zotac VGA card on tv and without much ado it came on. The AGP expansion slot has a notch which does not allow zotac to use the slot so I used the next pci expansion. Thus means my iiyama monitor is trouble. I will have to think what to do. Perhaps change my mobo and use zotac. Anyway I will have to think about it. Many thanks to everyone, Liza

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes