We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How do I fix a faulty USB Port?

K*B

Likes # 0

Friends, my pc wouldn’t recognize a memory stick any more; in fact I have a brand new memory stick which got damaged by this pc when I stuck it into one of its USB ports! and the damaged stick is sitting right here on my desk, not knowing what to do with it. Can you help me fix this USB port problem? What about the damaged stick itself, can it be fixed? Thanks. I await your smart ideas.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

If they are physically damaged it is extremely unlikely that there is any practicable solution.

If not physically damaged, some software might do the job.

Could you describe in more detail what has happened?

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

If they are physically damaged it is extremely unlikely that there is any practicable solution.

If not physically damaged, some software might do the job.

Could you describe in more detail what has happened?

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 0

I have a golden rule i always plug items into a pc via an extension cable,i have yet to break a port,no use now for you but for future use try it,a replacement cable is very cheap,mending a port not . is it a laptop or desktop and where is the socket located,we need more info.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Op system?

Is the stick seen in disk management?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Are all of your usb ports damaged? What happened when you found out that your memory stick was damaged? Were you using the Safely Remove Hardware that sits in your system tray, bottom right, before removing your stick?

If you have a working port you could consider buying a powered usb hub that plugs into this and gives you several usb outlets - typical example here. Of course if all of your ports are damaged this is another matter.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

If its one of the usb ports at the rear of the computer (assuming that its a desktop?), then that would or should be fairly easy to fix by the method already discussed - fit a new pci card. They are not very expensive and easily available.

Like this post
K*B

Likes # 0

The pc is a desktop running on Win XP Home. The damage to ports is not physical. They just don't see memory sticks when inserted into them, and the damage caused to a stick inserted is that already-stored data in the stick becomes unreadable with/in other pcs. So for example the problem created by the USB ports in the problem desktop to my damaged memory stick is that data stored on it has become unreadable when inserted into a USB port on my laptop and other pcs.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Uninstall everything under USB in device manager reboot the machine and let windows find and install new hardware

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Do you have any other usb devices plugged in, a printer or a wireless adapter for example? If so what happens if you unplug all of these? Are memory sticks recognised then? I recently read a post on a forum from someone experiencing the same problem as you are - that person came across a microsoft usb flash drive manager - when it was installed the manager was opened and usb flash drives were instantly recognised. Here is a link to the manager and to the post on the Microsoft Community by DebiKaye.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

The big Problem is, I think you have been just pulling Stick from the USB port. This as corrupted the stick. As to port damage I do not think this as happened. Windows Restore may correct the Port Problem

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

2014 Mac mini release date, specs, rumours: When's the new Mac mini coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen