We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Recovery Disk should be latest available?

manrow

Likes # 0

I created a recovery disk when I bought my laptop new 18 months ago. Do I need to create a new one before attempting to reinstall Windows Vista,or would the 'old' one suffice?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

The recovery disk that you created when you purchased your laptop will have all you require on it so no need to create a new one.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Depends on the make and model of your laptop, and the program used to make recovery disk.

Some only give you one chance to make full system recovery disks - usually you need more than 1 dvd.

Are you sure you have got a full system recovery disk? some are just a boot disk to enable pc to boot into the factory hidden restore partition on hard drive.

Why do you need to reinstall Vista?

Please give us more details.

Like this post
manrow

Likes # 0

I understood that periodic reinstall of Windows was beneficial from time to time, especially when the laptop has now become very sluggish in operation. I had intended to save all my essential files to an external hard disc, and then reinstall Vista.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

'I understood that periodic reinstall of Windows was beneficial from time to time'

It can be, but usually a clear-up with Ccleaner, a run with Malwarebytes and a defrag will make a big difference.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I agree with onthelimit1, do a clean up first and see if that improves performance.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I think you have only one chance at creating a Rescue Disc, that is when You first start PC and set it up

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

After saving your Personal Files, Just start Laptop with Recovery VD in the Drive, this will over-right the Partition with the Recovery Image that you Created when you got it

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK