We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Epson R285:Two orange lights flashing+needing service-Please help?

buel
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi, Im using my brilliant R285 but i keep getting the message that it needs a service and the two orange lights at the front are flashing alternatively (middle and right). I have the SSC Service Utility programme but when I right-click it most of the options are greyed out. Please can I ask for some help?

Thank you all.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi Fruit Bat, Unfortunately I have tried the soft reset option and nothing happens. I have made sure that there is nothing waiting to print either, I just still keep getting the two flashing lights and it's driving me crazy (slowly).

What on earth can I do, please?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

TRY

1. Turn off the printer by pressing the power button. Check to make sure that the print head is in the default position, to the far right of the device and locked in place.

2. Hold down the paper feed button. Turn on the printer by pressing the power button.

3. Release the paper feed button as the paper feed light starts to flash. Immediately hold down the ink-drops button for 15 seconds.

4. Wait for the printer to complete its test run. Turn off the printer and then turn it back on once more.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

If you have tried all the suggestions offered, and the waste ink tank is 'clean', then I would suggest getting a new printer as a replacement. Do not take the printer for a service, because this will be a non cost saving exercise.

There are many inexpensive printer's out there, but you should consider ink cartridge replacement costs before making a final purchase of a new printer.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi, Thank you for that. Unfortunately it did not work. However, you mention 'and the waste ink tank is 'clean', I have not touched the waste tank.

Could this be the problem please?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

This is how to mod the tank, but it shows you how to get at it

remove pads wash and dry and refit

be warned its a very messy job, wear gloves

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

When quite a number of printer's do an head clean, the surplus goes to a waste tank, which when the waste ink reaches a certain level, all sorts of 'servicing' error messages appear, and the printer eventually stops working. Cleaning out the tank, then resetting can sometimes resolve this issue.

There are methods of cleaning out surplus waste ink automatically, and perhaps YouTube might show a video on how this is done. A length of tubing and plastic bottle is all that's required, plus the knowledge of how to do this minor alteration.

But as I mentioned earlier, it might be time to consider a new printer with a 12 month warranty?.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I see Fruit Bat as the video answer. I blame it on a slow keyboard :O)

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Aha, well before that id like to try the link Fruit bat posted, i have downloaded it and the first instruction is to 'change your system date to 01-04-2008'. Please can i ask do they mean the computer time and date?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Not to sure now, but 01-04-2008 might be the printer's manufacture and/or driver software time/date. Resetting to this will or should start the printer setting 'as from new'.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 release date, new features and compatibility: Free to download from 6pm

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?