We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

internet explorer not working in w8 pro

rsturbo

Likes # 0

i bought a win 8 pro dell pc. ie 10 does not load in metro just starts to load then disappears. ie in desktop mode quite often has to be double clicked twice before anything happens - most frustrating

any ideas please!!

thank you

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Try Internet Options.Advanced and press reset.That resets I/e to it's original condition.

If using the 64Bit version tick compatibility under tools.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try running system file checker. Cursor bottom left, right click the start icon and select Command prompt (admin). Type sfc/scannow and press enter.

Was this problem from new or after you installed some program?

Like this post
rsturbo

Likes # 0

hi done all of the above and yes it was from new problem like it from out of the box. all other programs ok

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

If it still is not working properly maybe download and run Firefox and see if that works better.

There were about 11 Updates from Windows last week did you download them to see if that made any difference.

Or remove the desktop icon and go to the charms side bar and click on search.Right Click on Internet Explorer and you will get a lot of choices to choose from on the taskbar that opens.

Just click on pin to Taskbar and see if that is any better.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Not sure if you use Java on W/8 or not but there is a new version out this morning Java 7 version 15 but can be used in windows 8 but not as a plug in.

If you don't use Java ignore this if you do remove the old version and download the latest version.

Maybe wait for further advice from someone who uses it.I deleted mine because of the bug reports on the older versions.

Java

Like this post
rsturbo

Likes # 0

done all of the above (thanks for posts) still does the same - really frustrating as itys doing it on new win8 pro laptop as well!

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Could be your firewall or security program that is stopping it from running.

Maybe turn them off one at a time and see if it works ok.

I would say it is unusual for it to happen with both computers.

What security programs do you have including Firewalls and do you have the same ones on both computers.

Years ago anyone with the same sort of problem it would probably have been Norton or Zone alarm that would have been the problem but they have improved a lot since then.

If you have a security program installed with it's own Firewall make sure you have windows firewall switched off.

You could delete IE10 but you would need to have another browser that you could use temporarily.

programs and features.Turn windows features on or off. Untick IE10 and wait for it to be removed,[Remember you would need another browser downloaded before you did that.]

Reboot try windows updates and see if IE10 is available to download.

Not sure if you can go back to Turn windows features on or off and retick I/E10 to install it that way or not.

Microsoft updates Flash player on W/8 so need to download it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'