We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I've just installed a 2nd SATA HD - before initialising I have questions...

Graphicool1
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi Guys

I've just installed a 2nd SATA HD - before initialising I have questions:

I intend to clone the old 'C' HD to this new one.

(1) - Does it matter what letter I give the new HD before cloning the 'C' HD to it?

(2) - When I clone the 'C' to the new drive, will it automatically become the 'C' HD?

(3) - If the new HD becomes 'C', does then the old 'C' HD change it's letter to the new 'C' HD's old letter? (complicated)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Acronis will take care of all the partitions etc, just choose the 'clone the whole drive' (all partitions the lot) and you will end up with an 'identical twin' of your old drive.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Sorry I did not post very clearly in yesterdays 4:02pm post. I meant if you only clone the C drive and not the 100MB partition then you would use the repair function on the cloned drive.This installs the boot manager in the Windows 7 partition and after this Windows 7 boots fine.But it is probably simpler just to clone the whole drive including the 100MB partition.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Thanx Guys

I'll give it a go.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

OK here it is, pick the bones out of this...

Just started the 'clone whole disk'.

"Which disk do you want to clone from?" WDCWD*CA0 SATA (C Drive Partitioned)

"Which disk do you want to clone to?" WD5*MA0 SATA (New, empty disk)

"This disk has partitions, you will loose anything contained in them"????

Not only is this incorrect, but it isn't seeing to disks as SATA it see';s them as IDE?????????!!!!!!!!!!!

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Continued regardless...

Afer a reboot and going throught the motions, ie, flashing Acronis and some blurb on the screen before Windows started. Followed by cloning was a success. Windows opened and I thought WOW that was fast. I thought I would have to go off and find something else to do for awhile.

I opened 'My Computer' and clicked on the 'new' drive. Not that I had to, because I could see the outcome already, via the blue line. My new drive 'M' was still empty and nothing has changed!!!???

Any suggestions...

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I cannot help you with Acronis as I gave up on this software years ago,I found it temperamental and ever more bloated each upgrade. I did use EaseUs ToDo when it was free but I now use HDClone which is simple and effective.

There are a lot of Acronis people here so no doubt they will be able to offer advice on the software.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Chronos the 2nd

If I use HD Clone (Basic) will the new disk (Copy) be bootable?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

OK so here's the update - For any First Time would be cloners (Windows 7)

Initially I intended and attempted to use Acronis for the cloning. The reason being, I had a free copy from Western Digital (WD) and I knew a lot of PCA people used it.

However, as I said earlier, it said it had done the job, but hadn't! No explanation? Then Chronos the 2nd mentioned in passing that he uses HD Clone. So I downloaded the FREE version, I assumed this to be the basic version. In fact it isn't, as the Basic version isn't free. Why would you pay for the basic version of anything? Especially if the free version does virtually the same things.

Anyway, I set it up as prompted and all was fine until I pressed 'Start'. Then I got a notice...

"The following drive/s couldn't be opened for 'Exclusive Write Access'."

The drive in question was the NEW drive, that it intended writing to. I guessed that this was probably the reason that 'Acronis' didn't copy to the new disk! It's a pity that they didn't tell me the reason, instead of telling me that they'd done it?

However, even though 'HDClone' had told me the reason, what they said next made no sense. It's the sort of thing Microsoft says when things don't go right. Like giving you something pointless to do, to take your mind off the problem!...

"Please close all other application's and files. Then 'click' and try again. In case 'Exclusive Access' is still denied, use the 'Self Booting HD Clone'?"

(Yeah right, first off if you are cloning why would you have unneccessary applications and files open? Secondly, what is the 'Self Booting HDClone', could this be a paid version, it's the first I've heard of it? So, not surprisingly I didn'y buy anything and neither did I close down anything that 'wasn't' open.

To do the following, you have to be an administrator or have administrators rights.

'Click' on 'My Computer',

'Right Click' on the drive that is going to be 'Cloned Too'.

'Click' the 'Security' tab, at the top of the pop-up.

In the box labeled - 'Group or User Names' 'Click or Highlight' the name that says 'Administrators'.

Below this box is a button marked 'Edit' 'Cick' it.

In the box beneath it, labled - 'Permissions for Administrators' you have the choice what permissions to change. I clicked the top square 'Allow Full Control'. (At this point you might get heckled by 'Windows' as it tries to stop you making changes.) I'm not here to tell you what you should do, but I tend to be a bit 'gung ho' and go ahead anyway. Click 'Apply', 'OK'.

Then I tried to run HDClone again and it went like clockwork, until it finished. It then said there were '3 Read Errors' and it suggested I should "Delete the Clone and start again"! Yeah course. But naturally I didn't, after it finished cloning I turned off the PC, Unplugged the Power Lead and removed the 'Old C Drive' and plugged the old C 'Data Strap' into the 'New C Drive'.

Then I booted up the PC and ran 'CHKDSK' and everything seems how it should be now. Still, to be sure I'll put the New C Drive through it's paces to make sure and if it passes; I'll then clean and format the old C Drive, which will then become the 'New M' drive.

Happy Cloning

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

So in a nut shell you have cloned your old HDD?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...