We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

laptop crashes for no reason

Markito

Likes # 0

I have an ageing HP Compaq 6715b AMD Turion 64x2 laptop running Windows XP Pro, SP3. RAM 1.87GB. Almost 75% of disk space is free. My default browser is Firefox (regularly updated automatically). I also have Internet Explorer 8 and Outlook Express 6, and I suspect that there is a clash when it comes to trying unsuccessfully to print whole messages from O.E. (I have to go to the gmail website to do so.)

I have Norton Internet Security 2012 and Utilities 15, which I keep checked and clean, though it's about 6 months since I did a defragmentation.

I use the laptop only for e-mails and surfing plus LibreOffice 3 for documents.

Recently, the laptop has been crashing occasionally - maybe once a week on average - for no apparent reason. It happens at any time, whether I'm surfing or on the screensaver. I either get vertical black / white lines or suddenly a blank black screen and have to force a closedown. When I start up again, all works normally until the next crash.

I am not an experienced computer user, so are there any easy ways I can check what is causing this problem?

Many thanks in advance,

Mark

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Try changing the resolution in Control Panel, Display

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

BSV = bluescreenview as per earlier posting.

Like this post
Markito

Likes # 0

I have run bluescreen view and according to the report there have been no crashes at all! This is all very mysterious. But am I safe is reverting to my old drivers since I now cannot get back the font type & size, desktop appearance, pointer / hand sizes, web page or my computer appearance etc, that I had before?

Sorry for all these questions.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If you right click desktop then properties you should be able to change them

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

I would suggest rning c cleaner you can downlod it from file hippo dot com. use it clean out an fragments in your cache.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

and give your fan and heatsink maybe another clean just to be on the safe side since is an oldie lptop

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

I would suggest rning c cleaner you can downlod it from file hippo dot com. use it clean out an fragments in your cache.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

dont 4get to reapply thermal paste to the heat sink etc

Like this post
Markito

Likes # 0

Thank you very much, Finerty.

Having reinstalled my graphic drivers, I haven't had a crash for over two weeks, so fingers crossed the problem has been solved. I have also given the interior of the laptop an extra clean as you suggested. By the way, I already have c-cleaner installed and find it very useful at clearing out junk. All the best and thanks again.

Like this post
Markito

Likes # 0

I just had another crash!

Before I take the ultimate step of reverting to factory settings, it has been suggested that I might have a conflict of programs. If I list them from "add/ remove programs" would it be possible to tell what might be the cause of the conflict?

By the way, if I end up having to restore to factory settings, should I press F11 on startup or would it be better to use the H.P. Manager wizard to do it?

Thanks again in advance for anyone's help?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...