We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I have a dream....

onamatappear

Likes # 0

of a computer that works properly, that actually does what its supposed to do. A computer that doesn't take an excruciating eternity to do the simplest commands, boots up the same day its switched on and doesn't make me want to get a big hammer and smash it to pieces. I have an oldish desktop (compaq presario with pentium 4, 2.8ghz with hyperthreading tech, 512mb ddr - 120gb hard drive)I use the computer for surfing the net and photo editing (i have a lot of pictures saved on the computer). What I need to know is this computer beyond help? Or is there something i can do to revive it? Its so slow its like extracting teeth and i am struggling to control an urge to obliterate it. Also can anybody recommend a decent laptop that will surf quickly, play the odd basic kids game and generally work in a sensible way and not cause similar heartache!

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Run the Crucial scanner http://www.crucial.com/uk/ and it will tell you if and how much RAM you could upgrade to.

Like this post
onamatappear

Likes # 0

Results of the scan are i have 1 avaiable memory slot available. I currently have 512mb and a max memory of 2gb. Current storage is 37% full 233gb total storage. Does this tell me why my computer is so painfully slow and how to remedy this?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Download and run CCleaner it's free. You will need to re-log-in to all of your web sites, after running this.

You can also use this to safely clean up your Registry, if you wish, but use the Backup facility that they offer and put the Backup somewhere that you can easily find it when they ask - first time you do it, I keep it in My Docs. You can also use this to reduce the numbers of programs opening at Start-up, but don't do it all at once.

Then

Download and run Malwarebytes - the free version is bottom left on the blue band.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

and yes get some more ram, I would get two 1 GB sticks from Crucial so you have the max that your motherboard can take, 2 GB total.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Double Click My Computer Right Click and drag the folder to the external drive then click Move Hear

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S6 release date, features and specs rumours: When will the Galaxy S6 come out?

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...