We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Shop or Download ?

Jeffersonrex

Likes # 0

Following amy recent thread re. problem with a "rippling" effect on pages whilst scrolling. It seems the general consensus is that the fault lies with faulty driver(s) . I have run a test (with one of the many advertisers) into my computers drivers. The computer was built in 2007 and uses Windows XP and apparently 13 of the 30+ drivers are underperforming. So what to do....do I take to the local shop where the computer originated from for a £35 service OR download a re driver update on -line for around £20. The £20 may well be well spent to bring the computers drivers up-to-date in areas . Finally, As a technical novice there is no-way I know how to do any operation myself.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You should never allow yourself to be ripped off by buying Drivers. They are free to download from the manufacturers website, and updating a driver is quite simple, you download the file and click on it to open it.

"I have run a test (with one of the many advertisers) into my computers drivers.... apparently 13 of the 30+ drivers are underperforming" well they would say that wouldn't they, if it means they can get you to part with your money.

You would have/still can get more help with your 'display rippling problem' if you would only answer the questions asked and give more details of the problems on your thread http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/20/beginners-tech-help/4209466/scrolling-of-pages-going-haywire/

Like this post
Jeffersonrex

Likes # 0

Yes sorry I have re-read my original "post" I didnt answer any of the question. Problem was and is Im bambozzled ! When it comes to knowing how a computer woks Im a joke ! and a little bit embarrased because I have no idea what a graphics card is , nevermind how to download one. Ref. Driver update, every site Ive been on promises a free download but after "messing around" for hours on end I end up with a pay-up option and nothing else.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

First thing to try, is right click My Computer/Properties/Hardware/Device Manager if you double click items you should be able to see Update Driver.

This before searching the Web

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Don't be embarrassed, none of us knew anything until we started asking questions.

As it says at the top of this forum "don't know your CD ROM from your RAM, and you wouldn't dream of opening the computer's case? Relax, you're in good company. This forum is for you - so don't hesitate to ask that basic question."

Like this post
Jeffersonrex

Likes # 0

In reply to Woodchip I have been into " my computer " and fiddled around with this and that ( I know thats not very technical !) I couldnt find any prompt to update drivers . The hard disk drive and devices with removable storage revealed nothing though I was able to check DVD drive which was OK. Am I in the wrong place ?

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

Hi jeffersonrex , best advice I can give is to download this free program called slim driver , I have used it on all three of my computers , does the job , with no hassle or techie talk . just click on the link . http://download.cnet.com/SlimDrivers-Free/3000-18513_4-75279940.html

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Try looking in Control Panel/System/Device manager.If you then double click, on any hardware you think needs new driver/You should See Drivers TAB if there are other what you call folders double click it then look for the Tab

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Go to Control Panel, then Device Manager, then Display Adapter..this should show your graphics card, click on it and you should be able to select update drivers from within this tab.

Like this post
Jeffersonrex

Likes # 0

Great advice being given but still have problems .. (1) Ref. Nickf advice re. downloading "slimdriver" Usual problem here , they will analyse the "drivers" but no free download - page ends with a payment form. I loved the free cleaner though (better than my present one "ccleaner") so I am using that. (2) ref. iscanut2 When I go the control panel there is no such thing as device manager Im afraid.....I'm still trying to work it out though....watch this space. Jefferson

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

Jeffersonrex , slimdriver is free to use . I have used it for some time now . They also do Slimcomputer , which cleans out all the crapware installed on new computers .

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Why BlackBerry isn't dead: Firm keeps Mercedes F1 team driving with enterprise package

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...