We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Two product keys

iqs

Likes # 0

Hi, I just found my old retail disc of windows Xp media edition 2005 I had two pcs running Xp ,each with different keys . i still have copies of the keys. I can't recall which key was used on the pc I sold years ago. The original key was stuck to the case . I would like to install xp on a old pc for a family friend ,but wouldn't want to use the key supplied with the sold pc. How can I find out which key is activated Thanks

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"The original key was stuck to the case" that sounds like OEM to me. Are you sure they are Retail? AFAIK Microsoft opted not to supply Media Centre as an independent retail version. You can check what you have and if CD is OEM by looking at the (product identification) Pid = number in the i386\SETUPP.INI configuration file (open .INI files with notepad) after the number it will probably say OEM.

Post back when you have found out as all may not be lost and I'll say which files to look at in notepad from the CD to check.

To explore the contents of CD (press and keep shift key held down while you insert CD in tray and until CD drive activity stops - this prevents the CD from autorunning) then look at contents in Windows explorer.

Like this post
iqs

Likes # 0

Hi,Thanks for the help. Will check following you advice ,but they are retail versions .both pc's were custom built by Evesham computers . I paid for the retail versions for use on future machines .they stuck the labels on the case before shipping .thanks

Like this post
iqs

Likes # 0

Just checked ,it says oem ?. I have installed media edition on 3 different computers ,without any issues . Because I have installed it before, I would still like to find out which key is available,to try installing again . Thank

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

If it will help at all, this will tell you what product keys are in use on existing PCs that you have access to:

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...