We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Another Acronis question for Acronis users!

hiwatt
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi folks,after reading an acronis thread it got me thinking? I've done a few acronis back ups for emergencies(although I hope I never need to use them)but if I do does the image restore the windows OS too?Ie I did a full back up of my C drive.If something happened to my windows OS would the acronis image restore the OS?If so does that mean if my drive failed I could just mount the image to a new drive and that would install windows on it too?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I think you maybe mixed up the 'mount' part. 'mount' does not mean 'restore'.

A full backup.tib of C: will contain all the files - OS, programs and your personal documents - an exact copy of everything as it was on the date you made the full backup.tib, all compressed into an image file.

In the case of a hard drive failure. If you had taken a full backup of C: and it made a .tib file you restore to a new drive by booting from the Acronis boot dvd/cd. You need to have the other hard drive with the .tib on it attached and switched on and you need the Acronis boot dvd/cd in the tray before you start up the pc. Then you follow the on screen prompts. (you may have to alter the boot order in bios setup)

When you have finished and reboot the pc (don't forget to remove the dvd/cd or it will boot back into Acronis - but you can always choose the 'boot into windows' option on the menu if you forgot) the new drive becomes C: and you are up and running (all files will be what your original C: was on the date you made the .tib file)

Although it also depends on your OS, if you have W7 with the separate 100mb boot system reserved partition you would need that as well as C:

If you want to restore the C: on your present hard drive then you have a choice of booting from the Acronis boot dvd/cd or starting Acronis from within Windows.

What partitions have you got on your pc?

I find it handy to have another spare hard drive to which I have restored a backup .tib then in case of problems I can just swap the hard drives over and be back in business in a few minutes. It is also a handy way of checking the backup .tib works okay. I could clone instead of restoring but the way I do it I still have a spare hard drive that I can if need be delete contents and use for something else with the knowledge that I have a backup.tib that works. (note to self, could do with another hard drive come next birthday..)

Having said that, I don't keep all of my personal documents on C: I have another 2 internal drives and an external for those files.

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

I understood that Lovtic.I have two external drives(no spare internal)that I have my .tib files on(I've never tried them but made a couple)The only thing I wasn't sure of was that if my C:drive went kaput and took my OS with it then would I be able to load windows on to a new internal drive from the acronis back up file?Would you have to enter your windows key to validate it if it was on a new drive?

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"I did a full back up of my C drive...............The only thing I wasn't sure of was that if my C:drive went kaput and took my OS with it then would I be able to load windows on to a new internal drive from the acronis back up file?..."

The short answer is "yes". Because you've done a full backup, when you restore it onto a new drive it'll put your C: drive back to exactly how it was when the image was created.

If you need to install a new drive it won't trigger a reactivation of Windows so you needn't worry about that either.

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

Great!Thanks folks.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen