We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

EXCEL 2010 Quirk Copy Paste

Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Using Excel 2010, I noticed what I can only call a 'Quirk'

Try this:Enter

Cell a1 enter 5

Cell a2 enter 6

Cell a3 enter 7

Cell a4 enter calculation =sum(a1:c1) and you will get 18, which is correct.

Now copy the contents of cell a4 to cell a5 and you get 31, as the formula has changed to =sum(b1:d1).

The same applies if you do =a1+a2+a3.

Is there a way to stop this apart from using absolutes?.

Terry

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Shouldn't cell A4 be sum(a1:a3)? Sum (a1:c1) if there is nothing in columns b and c should result in 5.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Absolutes are for this sort of thing.

Like this post
Simsy

Likes # 0

What you can do is;

Instead of copying the cell itself, select the cell you want to copy, and select and copy the contents of the formula bar. You can then paste this to a different cell and the contents wont have changes, becasue what you have actually copied is a line of text, not a cell.

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

The only way I found it was developing a small accounting program, I decided to leave a cell space between the data entered and the calculation to make it clearer,so I cut and pasted the calculations to the right by one cell, and noticed the diference.

I have now sorted the problem by inserting a blank row between the data and the calculation, however it would be very easy to make an error this way without realising what had happened.

Terry

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony PlayStation 5 release date, price and specs UK: When is the PS5 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

New Apple TV release date rumours, features: 'new Apple TV next week' rumour

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

How the Oculus Rift VR headset is helping train the surgeons of tomorrow