We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Live Mail disappeared from Start menu and desktop

Channel

Likes # 0

I have an icon for Windows Live Mail in the taskbar (Windows7) but it doesn't appear either in the Start Menu or on the Desktop.I can't copy it from the taskbar, and when I accidentally unpinned it from there,the only way I could access the mail again was by System Restore.Is there some way I can get it in the Start Menu and on the Desktop ?

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

Try this.

Right click on the icon in the task bar then "send to" then "desktop (create shortcut)". This should create an icon on the desktop. Works in Vista so assume same applies in W7.

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

Oh and if you want to pin it to the start menu, right click on the shortcut just created and click on "pin to start menu".

There is no need to do a restore, you can recover it by clicking on start>all programs, locate it then right click on it and click on "pin to start menu"

Like this post
Channel

Likes # 0

Thanks both for trying-but,right click only gives options to open/close program or unpin it.As I said, Live Mail doesn't appear in my Start Menu for some reason, so I can only open it by clicking the Taskbar icon.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

" but it doesn't appear either in the Start Menu....."

That's odd. What happens when you click the Start button and immediately start typing "windows live"? The program you're looking for should instantly appear at the top of the list before you even finish typing its name. If that works for you then you can right-click it and choose "Send To" -> "Desktop (create shortcut)".

If that doesn't work then open "Computer" and navigate to the C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Mail folder. Locate the file called wlmail and send it to the Desktop as per the instructions above. Finally, close that folder window, go to your Desktop and right-click that shortcut you just created and rename it to "Windows Live Mail" (although you can name anything you like).

Like this post
Channel

Likes # 0

Thank you, Secret-Squirrel.Success.I typed Windows Live as you suggested,right-clicked, and sent it to my Desktop.From there, I've also pinned it to the Start Menu.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...