We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help, suggestions, and advice for upgrading my rig's CPU

erickkasecamp

Likes # 0

Hello,

I have built my own gaming PC.

I'm semi-knowledgeable when it comes to PC repair/upgrades and general knowledge regarding PCs. Anyhow, I have never ventured into the realm of processor upgrades. My rig is mainly used for gaming, and I'm obsessed with ultra graphics tweaking and settings. My current set up is:

Operating System:      Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Central Processor:     AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 640 Processor

Video Card:            NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
Video Memory:      1.25 GB

Hard Drive:            1 TB
RAM:                   6GB DIMM 64 Bit
                       1333 MHZ

The nitty-gritty of my current cpu is:

CPU Name       AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 640 Processor
Code Name      Model 5, Stepping 3
Manufacturer       AuthenticAMD
Current Clock Speed    3000 Mhz
Max Clock Speed    3000 Mhz
Voltage    1.5V
External Clock     200 Mhz

CPU ID: AMD64 Family 16 Model 5 Stepping 3 Socket Designation: CPU 1

As for the motherboard:

Motherboard Model 2AB1 Manufacturer FOXCONN BIOS Name BIOS Date: 09/07/10 08:41:32 Ver: 6.04 BIOS Vendor American Megatrends Inc. SMBIOS Version 6.04 BIOS Date 9/7/2010

Anyhow, my question:

I figured the best way to beef up my rig is to go with a new processor as its probably about the weakest part of my rig. A new motherboard or more RAM is also a possibility if you think it would be necessary. I'm trying to hover within or around the 500$ range, but I'm flexible. What would be a good processor that would fit my motherboard and offer a decent upgrade in processing power?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK