We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Photo Printer for Passport Photos

dsouths

Likes # 0

I'm looking for a photo printer that can print out professional quality passport photos. I don't want to splash out 600+ for a professional passport photo printer such as http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/473898-REG/SonyUPXC1001UPXC100ProfessionalDigital_Printing.html.

I also think that by purchasing a good quality home/professional photo printer the paper will be much cheaper to purchase rather than the professional passport photo systems. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Dave

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

You can use any colour printer as long as the photo conforms to the guidelines

Like this post
dsouths

Likes # 0

I have read a lot of review on differing photo print quality. I want one that is consistently good quality, prints out quickly & is as cheap as possible to run. It would also be very useful if I could manipulate the print size i.e to passport size prints via the printer without having to use software. Any thoughts?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Most Chemist shops in UK have a Instant Passport Photo service, much cheaper than DIY.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Curious as to how many you want to print to justify the cost of the printer when you can do as lotvic suggests. When I have done them in the past for passports, ID cards, travel cards etc for friends and family I have just used an average pc printer set to best quality and used decent photo paper. Use a bit of freebie software to resize or trim. Never had any rejected.

Like this post
dsouths

Likes # 0

I have read a lot of review on differing photo print quality. I want one that is consistently good quality, prints out quickly & is as cheap as possible to run. It would also be very useful if I could manipulate the print size i.e to passport size prints via the printer without having to use software. Any thoughts?

Like this post
dsouths

Likes # 0

I am working in a chemist shop & wish to supply passport photos to my customers but currently cannot justify 600+ to my employer for an passport photo system. I thought the due to the quality of printers about these days for 100-200 they would be more than sufficient to provide this service to my customers. Obviously I want to maintain a high standard to my customers which is why I am in need of advice regarding photo printer. Any thoughts?

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Now we have the full picture (no pun intended)you work in a Chemists why did you not say so? Plenty of good quality printers available that would fulfill your needs for under £200. Can't see your reasoning for not using software which makes it so easy.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Looking at the whole situation I think it it would be better to persuade your boss to invest in the proper equipment. no messing around with software, no trimming, little on no wastage, no quality issues. They may think a long time return on their investment if any at all but it is tax deductible. Offering this service could bring more customers into the shop who may well spend on other items. I believe that is the reason most chemist shops do this.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

The printer is almost irrelevant.

It's the skill in getting exactly what the passport office requires in the photograph to the correct proportions and in the correct position that is important. That's why many photographs taken in photo booths now fail. It's also why the correct software can make your life far easier, particularly when you're busy in a commercial environment.

If you're offering a commercial service, your customers have every right to expect a professional product with no hassle of rejection.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You are going to have to print a lot of photos to get your money back if that's all you want it for. As above any good photo Inkjet will do it. though I prefer Epson. You need the Correct software to print the correct Size photo in Pixels

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015