We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

wi fi connection for tablet

smeni

Likes # 0

I have a dell pc and Acer lap top, and an 18 month old TP Link modem/router. Never been able to get Acer wifi, and used ethernet to connect to internet. Recently acquire Samsung Galaxy Tab, wifi ok in UK, but bringing it to Portugal, realised I would have to get wifi up and running here. After two weeks and IP provider phone calls, various web site advises, I managed to get a link, albeit manually, by getting LAN connection, then broadband connection on computer. But of course tab doesn't connect to IP, only to LAN. I am obviously missing the point as far as the mode/router set up is concerned, but cannot see how - IP provider wasn't able to help and gave up on me after half an hour on phone to him! How do I connect IP and LAN automatically?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

TP Link TD W8961ND ROUTER/MODEM manual (you can download the Quick Installation Guide pdf)

Quick Installation Guide Page 1 and check your cables are connected correctly.

Page 2 check the lights on the front display. Note that LAN refers to the ethernet cable and WLAN refers to the Wireless connection.

Please tell us how your cables are connected and the status of the lights on the front display as per the diagram picture in the QIGuide.

Like this post
smeni

Likes # 0

all cables correctly connected as per QIG (I have a copy of this) power light on, ADSL light on, WLAN light on Ethernet cable light on. I ran a microsoft diagnostics check on this and the conclusion was that it was a gateway or DNS error. I do not want to alter anything as I am worried about losing my link altogether! the error code was 0x2afc. The previous modem was issued by the IP provider, but it gave up ghost and I decided to have a wi fi modem/router, perhaps I would have been better off going back to IP provider for one of their modem/routers, do I assume it would have been configered ready for me? Any assistance appreciated!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I'm a little confused it may, help if you can answer the following questions

1. are you using same router in UK and Portugal?

2. do you have the same ISP in uk and portugal with same username and password?

3. laptop connects to router by ethernet in uk and portugal and works OK?

4. does laptop connect and work by wirelss in either country?

5. Galaxy Tab pad only connects via wireless in UK not in Portugal?

Like this post
smeni

Likes # 0

no router/modem is fixed in Portugal, as are main computer and lap top. Tab is new acquisition, worked fine in UK and picked up wi fi here straightaway, but, after it connects, I get network error message on it. I assume this is because it is only connecting to the modem. The Dell and the laptop require me to manually connect to the internet, they will not do it automatically, so therefore I can see why tab won't connect. Obviously I have done something incorrectly setting up modem/router, but I don't know what. Have tried resetting but same thing comes up. internet provider in Portugal has been contacted, but they were "unfamiliar" with TP link and after going around in circles with them, they said they could not help! My only other option is to get modem/router they are familiar with!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Did you use the TP's setup CD to configure the router for your Internet access in Portugal?

Please answer Fruit Bat /\0/\'s questions one by one and number your answers 1 to 5.

All your pcs, laptops and Galaxy tab both ethernet and wireless should be connecting to your TP modem/router, that is your AP (Access Point)

Your TP modem/router is the only piece of equipment that connects to your ISP's server and gets the Internet via the phone line.

Your Internet access comes down the phone line to your modem/router which then serves it down the ethernet cable to your pcs. When WiFi is switched on the modem/router, the SSID name is broadcast from your TP modem/router within your house area and serves the internet for you to pick up on your WiFi devices (laptop and galaxy tab). You then look for the SSID name of your modem/router to connect to via WiFi.

The default SSID name should be on a label underneath your modem/router, the WiFi password should also be on a label underneath (unless you have changed them on the homepage of the router) . If you have Internet and can browse the web on your pc when connected with the ethernet cable, then the TP modem/router is correctly configured to connect to your ISP and give you Internet access.

There should be no reason why you cannot connect via the WiFi on the TP modem/router if the WiFi light is on (unless you have altered some Wireless settings in the router), please tell us if you have.

This is why we are asking questions, so that we can check out all possibilities and try to find the part that is not working for you. It is very important to answer the questions put so that we can get a clear understanding of the setup. Please be patient and answer clearly even if the questions seem to be very basic.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Your lights sounds as if the router is set up to connect to your ISP OK

Will the laptop connect to the internet OK when connect by cable to the router?

Right click Internet explorer - properties - connections tab -Lan settings - tick box "Automatically detect settings" - Click OK - click OK

Open IE and see if it connects to the internet.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"The Dell and the laptop require me to manually connect to the internet, they will not do it automatically"

Please explain what you mean by the above. Is this when you connect to router with an ethernet cable? and what do you have to do to connect manually?

Like this post
smeni

Likes # 0

Either with cable or wirelessly I have to right click LAN connection, this brings up network connections, I then have to find broadband connection and ask this to connect, this brings up IP provider password screen, again I ask it to connect and I am then on to internet.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Who is your IP?

Like this post
smeni

Likes # 0

SAPO, equivalent of BT in UK

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 comparison review: Apple takes on Samsung once again in smartphone...

IDG UK Sites

Just another opinion about Apple's new iPhone

IDG UK Sites

Intel Xeon E5 v3 Haswell processors review: we check out the fastest chips on the planet

IDG UK Sites

Apple Watch hands-on review | Apple Watch design, spec, features & UK pricing