We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Microsoft Security Essentials vs Windows Defender

athlete
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi - I have just installed MSE on an old laptop which already has Windows Defender. Should I uninstall Windows Defender? Thanks.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 1

The 'old' Defender is anti malware only, so can run alongside MSE. On Windows 8, Defender is itself a combination of the two (ie, there is no downloadable MSE for W8).

Like this post
athlete

Likes # 0

Many thanks, onthelimit1.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 1

Not sure if you can run defender any more as MSE has also got a Malware scanner on it now.

Probably wrong but I think you can only use the one.If you did not use MSE then you would be able to use Windows defender.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 1

Not sure that onthelimit1 is completely correct. See MS Answers

Like this post  
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Woolwell

I thought that was the case but was not 100% sure.Thanks for the confirmation.

Like this post
athlete

Likes # 0

Sorry, Jock1e and Woolwell - just saw your posts. I will remove Defender and stick with MSE. Many thanks for your input.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Woolwell. Quite correct - I've never disabled defender when installing MSE and assumed they were compatible. The fact that it was automatically disabled/uninstalled completely escaped me!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

O2 to sell exclusive red HTC One M8

IDG UK Sites

iTunes 12 release date & rumours: When is iTunes 12 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger