We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wireless link problem

Blubottle

Likes # 0

Hi, I have setup a small dell SX 270' with a celeron 2.2 cpu, 1.5 GB ram , XP pro with a wifi usb adapter type TP-Link TL WN 722N . It has installed ok and has connected to my home network router which upstairs in my house, the problem is it 's so slow, the pc reports that the signal streangth is excellant wit.h a connect speed of 54 mbps, using goole chrome is painfully slow, IE is better but still lacking. This is the first time I have attempted a wifi add on. So this is a bit disappionting. Could the problem be this brand of adapter, it is rated atb150 mbps.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

"...a connect speed of 54 mbps... it is rated at 150 mbps"

Although the adapter is 802.11n and rated at 150Mbps, it will only connect at this speed if the router is also 802.11n. The connection speed of an 802.11g router is 54Mbps.

However, it is your internet download speed that you need to check. Go to the Speedtest.net site and run a test to see what speed you're getting.

Like this post
xox101

Likes # 0

Checking download speed and wireless network speed are two totally different things. Download speed should only be checked with the PC connected by ethernet cable to the router.

Is your download speed as slow when connected by cable or only with the dongle?

Have you installed the correct drivers and only the drivers, not any connection program that was supplied with the dongle? XP is perfectly happy to handle the wireless connection itself.

Your PC is quite old, is the USB port the dongle is plugged into USB2 or 1.1?

How far are you from the router? Are there any obstructions between the PC and the router?

Have you checked the wireless signal with encryption turned off?

Have you tried setting different channels in the router to rule out interference from neighbours?

Do you have access to a laptop where you could try the dongle and see how the download speed is then?

Like this post
Blubottle

Likes # 0

Thanks for your replies. XOX101, my main pc is situated upstairs in my house whilst this is downstairs, my main pc is ethernet connected and has a good download speed, we also have an Ipad which works very well, The usb connection is usb1.1 I have not tested with encryption turned off,,,yet ,,must give that a go. I do not have a laptop so I can't try it out that way. I haven't yet tried an ethernet connection yet to compare speeds . The channel swap I thought about but as both the main pc and the ipad are ok I ruled that one out. Initially I thought the wifi adapter wasn't up to it. Your comments have enlightened me somewhat , many thanks.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks