We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC crash with strange screen

markcomp

Likes # 0

Over the years I have managed to fix most of the problems that have come up on the family pcs, except when a failed memory chip got me. This one could be another. My sons PC was streaming a tv prog to a 32" TV via HDMI, when the screen went.... well lots of little vertical coloured lines, before going blank. Tried everything, chkdsk - a bit suspect as took ages but only a 2 yr old. In the end reloaded win 7, and chrome, avast etc, followed updates with Regcure pro scan. All seemed OK during interminable windows updates - must image next time - then today, switched on logged into gmail and it happened again. Has anyone got any ideas - asus mobo with onboard graphics, 4mb kingston. Thanks Mark

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

This is often a graphics card seating problem, but with onboard graphics I would suggest it may be either memory corruption (RAM needs reseating?) or - worst case - a motherboard fault. It may also be that the streaming was just too much for the RAM to take and virtual memory couldn't cope. Given that it also occurred when downloading mail I should start with reseating RAM modules.

Like this post
markcomp

Likes # 0

OK reseated modules and general clean, booted up ok so far then went to streaming prog, 2 minutes lots of now continuous horizontal lines. Rebooted, didn't even get to main screen. If it the onboard graphics, can I just put in another graphics card??

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Get rid of Regcure it is considered scamware. Google for 'scamware regcure' and you'll see others experiences of it. It can cause more real problems than the fake ones it finds and 'fixes'

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Yes you can install a new graphics card but you must disable the on board graphics first, normally done via Device Manager and then look for your display adapter and DISABLE it, not remove it. Switch off, install the card and its drivers and away you go.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Will agree with Lotvic some very poor reviews for Reg Cure.Not saying that's the problem but not something I would use on my computer.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Consider the possibility of Graphics Card overheating!

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

He has onboard graphics so overheating &/or re seating don't apply !

Like this post
markcomp

Likes # 0

sorted - faulty stick of paired memory. Thanks to everyone

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?