We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Looking for a decent budget monitor?.

spuds
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am on the market for a decent budget monitor, and was hoping that any fellow members might have the solution.Price upto/about £110.00

At present I have a Medion 15" crt, and an Acer AL 1913 flatscreen. But now require something for 'aged' computer eyesight.

Ebuyer are offering an Asus VH228D 21.5 LED VGA for £79.98 delivered with good reviews. Wondering if this might fit the bill, or is there something better for the price?.

As usual, any help advice appreciated.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Should have perhaps mentioned, the Acer is 19" model.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

£15 more than you want to pay but a 24".Acer Monitor

Some more from Amazon + free delivery.

Amazon

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Nothing wrong with your choice and a good price. Just make sure is has the connections you need. I am not at my PC at the moment so cannot have a look for alternatives. Do you have a maximum budget and what GPU have you?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

The Asus monitor that I mention apparently only as VGA hence the reduced 'clearance' price, but would a monitor with dvi/hdmi be a long term better buy?.

I am not looking for anything well over the top, just for basis computing,no gaming etc, so taking that into consideration, I want to stick to about £110 give or take!.

The 24" Acer might fit the bill, but I was wondering if this might be a little large, but open to suggestions.

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

I use a 27" monitor , as long as you have the space for it , the bigger the better !

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

If you have the desktop space then a 24" monitor is a must. I promise you that you will wonder how you managed with a smaller screen. The ability to have to web pages or documents side by side but still be perfectly readable is so useful.I like nickf swear by a 27" but am looking to move up to a 30" and I cannot see further than Dell who produce some of the best monitors out there. But they are not cheap. Though you can pick up a second hand one from this guy for a decent price and the guy is sound. Monitors.

I know you said it is just for basis computing but you should still get something that will last give good colour reproduction,have various connections. VGA is old school DVI HDMI are a must.

Bit of reading here.Bit-Tech.

But can I suggest this monitor which is an IPS and has good reviews. Ebuyer.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Thanks guys for the suggestions so far. I think that a 24" would be the right size, due to limitations.

Chronos- Checked out your links. The Ebuyer monitor reviews seems to have the same remarks about a 'flimsy' stand, which would possibly make me think of long term usage or effect. Something that I could possibly life with. There were a few other 24" monitors giving a good review rating, so I will check further, from other websites for pricing, warranty etc. Prefare a 3 year warranty than a 1 year with extended options.

Thanks again everyone, keep the suggestions coming, would add that selection and purchase is not an urgency, but with the 'right' model, then purchase will go ahead fairly prompt.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

This is the one I bought, AOC, and happy with it. Must say Chronos the 2nd's suggestion looks good for the price, though.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Just done some internet searches, regarding the suggestions made so far.

Chronos suggestion as some very good reviews and prices from most of the main well known suppliers. This actual model appears to have been released about 8/9 months ago, hence a good selection of reviews. There is also a few bits on YouTube about the LG IPS234V-PN.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

spuds

Providing you have got the space you will not regret getting a 24" monitor it makes a massive difference.No more eye strains.

I have a 23" Samsung TV/Monitor so if I get fed up with the computer I can always watch the TV.

Best of luck with whichever one you choose.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G vs Nokia Lumia 530 comparison: What's the best budget smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer