We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

No buffering just stops

jack.phelps

Likes # 0

When watching a video online it will randomly stop and it doesn't buffer it just stops, the only way to watch it is to put the video back a couple of seconds and it will reload a bit more and then take it back a couple of seconds and so on, the same thing happens for downloads it just stops, I am running the downloaded version of windows 8 and have updated my codecs. Cheers hope someone gets back soon.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

A few things to check.

Is your Flash Player up to date? Have you tried unchecking the "hardware acceleration" in Flash settings? -Right click on the video when it is running, click on settings. You do not say which browser you are using - have you tried clearing the cache and cookies? On YouTube will your video buffer if you pause it whilst playing? If not will changing the quality by choosing a resolution from the gear icon help? Do you have a good broadband connection?

Like this post
jack.phelps

Likes # 0

I am using Google chrome, I do not have the best broadband connection but other laptops in my house work fine.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Have you had a look at some of my previous suggestions? When you have cleared the browsing history,download history, cookies, cache, try re-booting.

Have you tried to see if the situation exists with another browser?

Like this post
jack.phelps

Likes # 0

My flash player is up to date, unchecking the "hardware acceleration button doesn't work and the same problem occurs in Internet Explorer

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Did you delete all browsing history, cookies etc and then re-boot. How about trying Firefox?

You say that you are not having any problem on other laptops - may point to your installation of Windows 8.

Like this post
jack.phelps

Likes # 0

Deleted all browsing history and cookies, still just stopping. It has been doing it for around the last month I have had the windows 8 for longer so it didn't initially start after the download of windows 8

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Are you using the same anti-virus as on your other pc's?

Could you try uninstalling Flash, downloading Firefox and using Firefox download Flash - make sure you get the correct one for Firefox.Take care when downloading Flash that you uncheck the McAfee Security option.

I'm assuming that this is the only PC on which you have Windows 8 installed and that the pc on which you installed the download version meets the specifications for doing this. I do not use Windows 8 but there is a specific section on this forum and you may get some more specific help if you tried posting there. If you do this it would be helpful if you state what you have already done to try to solve the problem.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

As an afterthought, if you have some idea of when the problem first started to occur you could try to restore back to before that date. This will not affect files and folders but will uninstall any programmes/software/updates installed before that date.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more