We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

A question for any ACRONIS users

Graphicool1
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi, my WD SATA 500GB HD (2 years old) is showing signs of going belly up sometime soon. I've run a diagnostic and I'm being told it can probably be fixed. However they are telling me to back-up the drive because there maybe some data loss. They've given me free ACRONIS cloning software. The disk to be cloned is 240GB of data, I want to move it to an external IDE drive. The external drive is 1T of which only 833GB is used.

My Question is...

Can I move the cloned image to this drive without it overwriting the data already there. Or does the drive it's moved to have to be empty?

ASAP Please, every second lost is a second closer to my breakdown!

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi bumpkin

I have tried to clone once before, but that was a few years ago now. At that time I used a free copy of EASUS. It seemed to go well, all appeared in order, but went downhill from there on. Which I'm sure you'll understand when I say I'm feeling a little apprehensive this time round. Which is why this thread is called..."A question for ACRONIS users". I thought one of them might be able to point me at a YouTube step by step video, or something similar?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Download the User manual from WD website. Chapter 15. 'Transferring the system to a new disk' with step-by-step screenshots. This is the chapter that deals with cloning.

Make sure you read the whole chapter and understand the options before you actually do it (...although if it's not gone right you could always delete the partitions on the new messed up cloned drive and start again :))

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...