We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

A question for any ACRONIS users

Graphicool1
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi, my WD SATA 500GB HD (2 years old) is showing signs of going belly up sometime soon. I've run a diagnostic and I'm being told it can probably be fixed. However they are telling me to back-up the drive because there maybe some data loss. They've given me free ACRONIS cloning software. The disk to be cloned is 240GB of data, I want to move it to an external IDE drive. The external drive is 1T of which only 833GB is used.

My Question is...

Can I move the cloned image to this drive without it overwriting the data already there. Or does the drive it's moved to have to be empty?

ASAP Please, every second lost is a second closer to my breakdown!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Good point there xox101, it would be better to just copy the personal My documents data folder over to the external harddrive. Then original contents of My Docs on C: can be deleted which makes a much smaller GB to be cloned and/or .tib'ed with Acronis.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Create a new partition on your external drive then you can transfer all you you require by whatever chosen means without it interfering with your existing stuff.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

But if I copy from disk to disk using 'TeraCopy' will the disk be bootable?

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

I'm now doing what you do lotvic, trying to get ahead of myself, although in my case it tends to put me back.

What I meant to say was if I transfer everything from the old drive to the new drive using TeraCopy. Will the new drive be bootable? I don't think so?

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

I don't know what TeraCopy is but if you use Acoronis then you can always boot from the CD if you need to.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Another suggestion, use "XX Clone" free to download, just google it. This will give you the option of making the target i.e. the disc you are sending it to bootable. Very easy to use but spend a few minutes reading the on screen instructions and go to "cool tools" and check the appropriate boxes.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

TeraCopy is not for the OS, it is for 'faster than Windows can do it' when copying your personal My Documents files and folders, for example to an external drive.

So it has nothing to do with making an image, 'bootable' or the OS.

Like this post
xox101

Likes # 0

Yeah...Teracopy is simply a replacement for the normal Windows File Copying which tends to trip over itself.

If you have a dying hard drive the most important thing is to get your files off it and on to another one as quickly as possible. Then and only then can you mess about with cloning. If the cloning operation goes wrong or it puts undue pressure onto an already on it's last legs hard drive then you stand to lose everything. If you get your important stuff copied over onto another drive and then try cloning you have nothing to lose.

If you only have one hard drive to copy to then do what was suggested earlier in this thread. Connect that hard drive to your PC, partition it so the partition is big enough to hold your files, copy over your files to said partition and then either clone to the remaining partition or install a new copy of Windows to it.

Then buy another external drive and copy all your files to it as well. And yes I am a little anal about backups. Comes from experience!

Provided you are extremely careful about which partition you either clone to or install on you shouldn't have any trouble.

For partitioning you can try Partition Magic or install Parted to a USB stick and boot from it. Do a google search for these programs.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi Guys

Thanx for your input, however...

"the most important thing is to get your files off it and on to another one as quickly as possible."

I don't keep any important files on the 'C' (Boot) drive, they are all as safe as I can keep them. Multi copied three times and kept on three external drives. No, it's the programmes that I want to keep, many of them were free and are now unavailable unless you purchase them. Otherwise I would just install a new HD and do a fresh install of Windows on it. Then reformat or whatever to the other (old) one.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Do a full backup using Acronis or clone it with XX or use both if you want belt and braces. I don't think you will have any problems retrieving your programmes.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK