We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

non removable laptop battery advice please

sunnystaines

Likes # 0

my new samsung series 7 laptop, does not have a removable battery. now my logic was to remove battery once charged if using at home on the mains.

now cannot do that so which option is advised please

1] keep plugged into mains in use at home [most of time] or 2] when battery charged unplug mains run of battery till it needs charging, then keep repeating this option.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I leave mine permanently plugged into mains, without removing battery. My laptop is one year old exactly, no problems whatsoever.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

nontek thanks, did no know about this till i went to remove it and found no option, then read the manual which said battery non removable but gave no further advice.

Like this post
xox101

Likes # 0

Leave the laptop plugged in and if you remember run it off the battery once a month.

There may be a download on the Samsung site to enable you to limit the battery's charge to half. I remember one being available for the sammy netbook I bought for my daughter and a couple of Lenovo laptops I set up for friends.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

xox

thanks, it has a battery long life option where it charges to 80% which i had already set.

is this a new trend in laptops i wonder, battery life is very good, lasted over 5 hours which included installing, deleting,scanning, surfing etc while setting up pc.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Sunny, all laptop batteries have a finite number of charge/discharge cycles before they stop working so I think the best thing you can do in your situation is to leave it plugged in all the time.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Reading this posting as got me rather concerned, because does this now mean, that the manufacturer's are now telling us that there is a life-span to their products, and possibly a short one at that?.

On a personal note, I have had a number of 'non-serviceable' items, but on a little bit of investigation or experimenting, found that you could make them serviceable. One particular item is smoke detectors, with the non-serviceable battery. I have been able to change these units without further issues, it just meant removing the security tab, so exposing a battery, which may have failed well before time.

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

SPUDS I`m afraid that's the way our economic system is geared . Companies don't want things fixed , they want to sell you a new one !

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

nickf

Fully agree with you, but others might state that this is all due to aggresive competition and the consumer wanting and demanding cheaper commodities and services?

Like this post
scotty

Likes # 1

Was unaware of this trend of providing non-removable batteries in laptops. I will look out for this on any future purchases and avoid like the plague. It needs consumers to take a stand to stop manufacturers taking liberties like this.

Like this post
scotty

Likes # 1

Just to add to the above rant, I have had laptops stop operating and refuse to start up until the battery was removed. This could be more serious with one of these Samsung laptops.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more