We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Upgrade android 4.1 to 4.2

bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi everyone, I wish to add additional users on my tablet. Android Jelly Bean 4.1 which I am using does not support this. The 4.2 version does, how can I upgrade.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks Woolwell I will have a closer look at the things on your link in the morning. Rooting has been mentioned by yourself and xox101, can someone explain exactly what this means and how to do it not that I intend to do anything rash just yet.

Ray

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

I agree with Woolwell in that Tablets in my view are akin to mobile phones and used by one person as opposed to laptops or PC's that could be easily shared.

I did not intend to be awkward when asking why you wanted to do this.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Rooting. But beware it may well invalidate any warranty.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I suspect that you could be a long time waiting for Ainol to release 4.2 (if they ever do).

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Compumac, I did not think you were being awkward just wondered what difference it made. One of the main points made about V4.2 is that it enables multiple users which in my case would be useful. I am used to Windows and was hoping that an upgrade of Android would be easy as with Windows. I think I will leave rooting alone, sounds too risky for the likes of myself. Thanks to all, I am not giving up just yet but this is clearly not as simple as I expected.

Like this post
xox101

Likes # 0

Exactly why I suggested you check out XDA. Google it. Or Google the name of your tablet and how to root it.

Depending on the manufacturer and how popular the device is determines whether or not someone is willing to put the time in to find out how to root a device. Root simply means administrator, full control over the device so able to install whatever you want.

A custom rom is a version of the operating system that someone else has customised to enable more features, speed up the device and/or improve the battery life.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks