We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Upgrade android 4.1 to 4.2

bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi everyone, I wish to add additional users on my tablet. Android Jelly Bean 4.1 which I am using does not support this. The 4.2 version does, how can I upgrade.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Additional user problem? Anyone can use my Galaxy 10.1 if I so desire with Froyo, ICS and then Jelly Bean - what is the difficulty?

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi compumac, in the settings there is no "user" option below "apps" and above "Location Services". I am using 4.1 and think I need V4.2 which version are you using. Thanks for the response.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Can you clarify your need to designate users? For what purpose?

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

The purpose seems irrelevant to me, I just need to know how to do it. However my reason is that others in the household also want to use it which I dont mind at all as long as my stuff is kept separate, I still think it can only be done with 4.2 which is why I wanted to know how to upgrade. If I can do it with 4.1 then fine if some one can tell me how. Thanks

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Brand and model of tablet could be helpful.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

It is an Ainol Novo10 Hero, about 6wks old 10".

Like this post
xox101

Likes # 0

Check out XDA developers site for how to upgrade your tablet to 4.2. But this may mean rooting the device and installing a custom rom. 4.2 may not be available for your device from the manufacturer hence a custom rom may be your only choice in the meantime.

By users I assume the OP means user accounts.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

xox101, I do mean user accounts. Android is new to me and I am unsure of exactly what you mean, excuse my ignorance on this but you are way ahead of my understanding here. Thank you anyway. Ray

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Have you seen this. Don't know how well the apps would work though.

Android updates are usually released by the manufacturer's of the device and updated through their software. The alternative may be to root your device which basically means getting rid of the manufacturer's installation. The risk is that your turn it into a brick and you cannot get manufacturer's updates.

Tablets are usually thought of as single person devices.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

you turn not your turn!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch release date, price and specs: Hands-on and pictures

IDG UK Sites

Apple financial results: iPhones, iPads & Macs sales for Apple's Q2 2014, plus shares to split

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer