We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

how to attach heatsink/ fan to motherboard

1smurff

Likes # 0

hi, I need to change fan/heatsink in computer, I believe I have found a compatible part, however it is attached by push pins. The original fan/heatsink is attatched to motherboard by spring loaded screws. Will the new fan/heatsink be a straight foreward swap or will I have to find another component with screw fixings

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

More info needed.

Do you have an AMD or Intel processor? Or what is your motherboard make/model?

Did you remember to get thermal paste as that will need renewing also?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

amd have a clip through heat sink, intel use a plastic frame round the cpu

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

amd have a clip through heat sink, intel use a plastic frame round the cpu

Like this post
1smurff

Likes # 0

hi,guys, thanks for the interest, it's an intel core 2quad cpu [email protected] 2499mhz 4 cores, 4 logical processors. I'm just copying this info . from system info.The fan , an acer hi, or h1.10800.046 rev.A is flanged and fits over the heatsink, theres two screws through the fan and into the flanges of the heat sink. A guy down at my local maplins had a look into my computer, he told me I needed a low profile 4pin power and socket 775. I think theres one in ebuyer.com, including heatsink, however being it's described as pushpin attatchment and mine is screwed in to ' places ' on the motherboard , will it be a straightforeward change

Like this post
1smurff

Likes # 0

hi, again, just been into another forum, apparently it, won.t be a straight swap, my heatsink is screwed and therefore I have to buy one the same, pushpins won't work on my motherboard. thanks anyway

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

What you got is a dedicated socket 775 heatsink/fan, there is a backplate at the back of your motherboard which you'll have to remove after undoing those 4 screws.

How easy that is will depend on your hardware skills because you'll have to remove the motherboard in order to get to the backplate.

Afterwards then you can fit any push pin socket 775 heatsink/fan cooler, hope this helps.

Like this post
1smurff

Likes # 0

thanks for the info regarding removal of backplate,why can't they make things simple. Have just had a look on u tube regarding motherboard,I do'nt think I'll be able to hold my breath for that long and am bound to put the right bit in the wrong place. but thanks very much again for the info.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

If you want to keep the work to minimum then do a straight swap with this screw type socket 775 heatsink/fan

click here & it comes with thermal paste already.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features