We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Upgrade advice

Phantom2481

Likes # 0

Hello, and thank you for reading.

My graphics card has packed up and needs replacing. I was thinking about doing this anyway but now I don't have a choice. My budget is about £120. I am planning to upgrade a few other bits fairly soon so some general upgrade tips would be greatly appreciated. I'm not bothered about playing games on top specs and this rig ran Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 fine for me this year.

Anyway here is what I have

Lian-Li PC-60B PLUS Aluminium Midi-Tower Case - Black (No PSU) Asus P5K-E WiFi Intel P35 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 "Energy Efficient SLACR 95W Edition" 2.40GHz (1066FSB) - Retail
OCZ SLI-Ready Edition 2GB (2x1GB) PC2-8500C5 1066MHz Dual Channel (OCZ2N1066SR2GK)
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music UAA 7.1 Sound Card - OEM (PCI) (30SB077200000) Tagan PipeRock TG600-BZ 600w Modular BZ Series Power Supply Gigabyte GeForce 8800 GT OC 512MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GV-NX88T512HP) Samsung SH-S203P/BEBN 20x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer Lightscribe ReWriter (Black) - OEM Samsung SpinPoint F1 750GB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM (HD753LJ)

Any advice would be greatly received

Thanks

Tom

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

You should be able to get either a gtx650 Ti , or a radeon HD 7850 for around the £120 mark . You don't say what OS you are running , but a memory upgrade would certainly help . To really pep things up , you might also consider getting a smallish SSD as prices are now finally getting more reasonable .

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks