We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Advice regarding Dell PC running hot

Hetti

Likes # 0

I have Dell Inspiron One (all in one PC) since I got this PC it has been back to Dell 3 times in about 18months, I have an extended warranty but wanted to ask some advice here before I ring them. I have Ashampoo HDD control software to monitor temp, when I first boot up the temp is 33c, within 20 mins it reads 37c within 40 min it reds 42c and within the hour it is 48c. Last night it was reading 53c PC had been on most of the day, Ashampoo HDD control was saying "Temp is critical cool PC immediately"

About a month ago I spoke to Dell telling them just what I say above in this post apart from the 53c temp, (it didn't get that hot at this time), and they said this is normal for this PC. My question is are these temperatures acceptable for a all in one PC? as I don't want to ring if they are going to tell me "This is normal for this PC again" PC runs OK but last night, when it was 53c it was more noisy than normal,it has never been very fast and I have been disappointed with proformance since day one.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

There seem to be a few different models of the Dell Inspiron One can you be more specific, there should be a model number that way we can see what CPU you are running.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Chronus the 2nd

My Dell model is Inspiron One 2320

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Thanks Hetti.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Is this it? Dell. To be certain of your specs you could install SIW. Which I am sure I advised on another problem PC you had. The free/home edition is fine.

But if you do have the i5-2400 CPU then it does seem to be running a little high. It should idle at around 20-30C and at full load 50C-60C but this really depends on the cooler.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Chronus the 2nd My PC is the i7 version, 2.80 gigahertz Intel Core i7-2600S

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

i7-2600S

Electrical/Thermal parameters

Maximum operating temperature ? 72.6°C

Thermal Design Power ? 95 Watt

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

hen I do not think that your temps are high after all,been doing a bit of research and I would say average would be 38 degrees C at idle with fan around 1500rpm, and about 74 degrees C when all cores are running flat out.

As it is an all in one I suspect you are stuck with whatever cooler Dell fitted so I think you will need to live with the noise.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

sorry that was not the s version

for yours its slightly lower

Maximum operating temperature ? 69.1°C

Thermal Design Power ? 65 Watt

from here

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Thanks guys, very kind of you all,

That has put my mind at rest,it was the Ashampoo software report frightening me, maybe I should try a different temp monitor.

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

I use CoreTemp 1.0 RC3 , seems quite reliable .

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more