We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Extremely bad freezing. even the mouse is freezing.

onniilee

Likes # 0

for some odd reason my laptop started freezing, and not just a normal freeze, I mean even the clock and mouse freezes and we have to force shut it down for it to do anything. eventually it got worse and worse to the point that if I try to turn it on, even on safe mode it wont even make it to the start up menu; it shows the mouse then the mouse freezes and that's it. I believe something may have gone terribly wrong with the registry but I do not know enough about computers to be sure. Can anyone tell me what could be wrong with it and what I should do to fix it? it is an HP laptop and it is only 2 years old.

Like this post
onniilee

Likes # 0

oh I uninstalled avast before I installed the other one. I did a dskchk but it was read only and it said something about bad sectors and error on file $i30 or something. i have a feeling I need to replace the hard drive :(

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Run it as chkdsk /r That will try to repair bad sectors.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Did you use the Avast uninstaller that you download from Avast.If you only used the delete from, Add Remove, you will have to use the uninstaller as well.

When running chkdsk did you tick both boxes and did it finish running.It would normally fix any faults with both ticked.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Some laptops have a back to factory setting on them but if you use that and it works you would loose all of your programs etc.

Did chkdsk finish running or did you have to close it down yourself.If that was the case it would probably be a new hard drive that you need.

Avast Removal Tool

Like this post
onniilee

Likes # 0

the chkdsk did not fix any sectors and I did use the removal tool for avast. I'm not sure if I can do chkdsk /r because the computer stops working before I even see the mouse now, everytime I turn it on. You may be right about getting a new hard drive :( again thanks all for answering my question!

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

The computer could also be infected.Before buying a new hard drive.Maybe try the rescue disk from kaspersky.

If you can't download it get someone who can. Kaspersky

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

If buying a new hard drive they are usually about the £40-£50 mark from Amazon.You could also buy a Caddy from them for £4-£5 which may come in handy for removing photos etc from your old one.

It only takes about 10 minutes to fit a new hard drive but I would only do that as a last resort.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September